Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need a release with a short head >

Need a release with a short head

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need a release with a short head

Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Need a release with a short head

I was afraid of the 'peg style' Rhino until Matt properly introduced it to me a few years ago. Like Matt, I've never looked back. The other releases are that have been mentioned are worthy as well. It's all in what you're trying to accomplish.

With that being said, if your DL is too long, it's TOO LONG. All you're doing by grabbing a shorter release is changing your release hand anchor. You might still me missing facial anchors with too long a draw length. While I mention to many that loops don't change your draw length, shorter releases will also not accomplish this task.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:48 PM

True Ball Short & Sweet without a doubt!!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love my Short and Sweet II with a pro buckle.

It is the same as the Short and Sweet but has a swept back trigger.This is an awesome release.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would a Carter two shot be considered a short release since it is attached with a strap and can be adjusted as short or as long as desired? Afetr shooting one the other day, I'm seriously considering buying one.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

you know guys your still drawing long . just your hand has changed position on your face.
While this may be true, I think it's important to note that one's true draw length is that which let's them execute proper form in a repeatable fashion. If one can use a longer draw lenght bow yet retain the same correct anchor point and form by using a shorter style release, they gain power and energy.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:57 PM

you can't get extra drawlenght with a shorter head you can only change the position of the release on your face if your drawing long your drawing long. the string distance from the bow to your face is the same if long still long ,short release dose not change that distance.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Selway.......
You're slightly missing the point I think.
Yes you can USE more draw length if in effect you are using a short head release that gives you a better hand position VS a long barrel that might place your hand farther back with the same draw length.
So in actuality you could be drawing a bow that is too long for a proper anchor with one release.........and draw the same bow with a short head release and have it fit perfectly.
Draw length doesn't change that is true, but FIT can be very different for a given release set up.

If you are drawing a tad long with a certain long barreled release, your only option (if you insist upon using that release) is to shorten your draw length a tad to make the release work with your anchor point.
If you now switch to a release with a short head/forward trigger style that now gives you a proper anchor at that same draw length, you are now NOT drawing long.

Take the same example as above but now take that original long barreled release and say that the anchor point FITS exactly to start with. What you can do with the right set-up and a short head/forward trigger release is POSSIBLY increase your draw length a bit to match the release style to again to acheive your same anchor point..........you have now given your bow a touch more performance.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Matt/Pa i see what you are saying and it will work. but the bottom of the nock should come to the corner of your mouth with a staight line up to your eye with a staight line to your peep. witch makes a ninty degree to the string. when your a little back you lose this ninty degrees to the string.head tipped back a little.with that said i have been fighting with my draw lenght for a couple of months now going from 29 to 30 inch draw , wingspan says 29 3/8 inch . i shoot the best with a 30 1/4 inch draw and a 3/4 inch loop go figure i'm at 31 now with loop and string??? i know i'm long but shooting to good to change just feels good to me with hardly any movement of the pin on target.i shot with 28 29 and 30 but hold best at 30 1/4 with a 3/4 loop ?????
Old 03-27-2004, 07:01 PM

If you like a closed release head such as a caliper rather than a hook , look at the Fletcher Jim Dandy closed model which can be used directly off the string or with a loop.
BD
Old 03-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Just shorten the Mongoose.

Quick Reply: Need a release with a short head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.