HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Question for 2004 BowTech Patriot Dually owners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/56382-question-2004-bowtech-patriot-dually-owners.html)

MN_BOWHUNTER 03-19-2004 07:27 PM

Question for 2004 BowTech Patriot Dually owners

I just took delivery of my new 2004 BowTech Patriot Dually and it looks great. After looking it over carefully I noticed that the cams are leaning slightly. Is this the way your bows are at rest?? I drew the bow back and it appears as if the cams continue to lean all the way through the draw cycle. The timing is right on right now but I have yet to shoot in the string/cables. I know it would be easy to press the bow and twist one leg of the cable split to straighten the cam out on both ends, but want know if the cams are supposed to lean slightly at rest. Thanks in advance for any responses.

MN_BOWHUNTER
(aka Passthrough in most of the other boards)

nubo 03-19-2004 08:32 PM

RE: Question for 2004 BowTech Patriot Dually owners

MN I took possession of my 2004 BowTech Pat Dually last week, I never noticed that there was a lean till I read your post. I went and had another look at it,and yes both cam's do have a slight lean on them .I take it that this is the way it should be but this is the place to find out for sure I'm sure Ausie-Guy and Matt and Walk's with a Gimp can help us out on this.I haven't had much of a chance to get this bow out and shoot it but this weekend I will get it out and try some shooting .When I had it out I was very impressed with just how quiet and smooth this bow feel's .Tommorrow I will be trying my bow with and without all stabilizer's that I have just to see which is best and what kind of difference they're making . I'm sure your going to like this bow let us all know your finding's.

nubo

JoshKeller 03-19-2004 08:46 PM

When I was at the proshop a few days ago, I also noticed that there was a slight lean.

Rack-attack 03-19-2004 10:08 PM

According to Bowtech - the lean is supposed to be there:eek::eek:

Mine leaned so much that I began ti strike the limb.

keep an eye on it so it does not get worse - but otherwise it should be fine.

walks with a gimp 03-19-2004 11:10 PM

The cam lean that you are seeing was also there on the '03 bows. I believe the can lean is there because the cams are positioned past center to allow the cables to track correctly due to cable rod offset. I have some cam lean on my '04 as well as my two '03's but have noticed no lean at full draw. Accuracy and dependability has been great on my '03's and I'm sure it will be with my '04 also. I have noticed no cam clearance issues with any of my bows.

RobVos 03-22-2004 08:52 AM

I have a Pro40 Dually and the bow is really nice.

I had heard about the lean in past models and thought I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that the lean was gone this year. Well, it is not. I took al the lean out and if you do this, tha cable does not track properly and you get the feeling of a double bump as it first hits the side of the cam cable track then fall into the track (feels like an out-of-time bow). So I slowly induced minor lean back into it until the double hump went away. There is a little lean on mine.

Bowtech has the cable track in the center of the limb and this seems to keep ay lean consistent through the draw cycle. However, since the cams roll over and stand taller at full draw than at brace, the lean does induce some horizontal nock travel that you cannot get rid of. (You can see this horizontal travel by powder testing how the arrow rides the rest -- it will not show a straight line down the shaft) You can tune the bow to shoot consistently like this, but I would really prefer for Bowtech to design the cable track in the cam to be able to accomodate a cam that has no lean and tracks the sting straight throughout the draw cycle. I am thinking that a split cable system on this cam may get rid of the lean (because it can then track straight up without a cable guard and I may try that).

Bottom line is slight cam lean is there.

MN_BOWHUNTER 03-29-2004 04:06 PM

Well, after getting my extended version Trophy Taker set up, I started shooting in the string and cables. I fired about 100 arrows, checking every 15 or so to see if there was any movement. I got a little settling from the cables and after about 75 shots I could not see any more movement from the string or cables. I measured axle to axle and brace and found that they were just short of spec, not enough to cause any concern though. I took another gander at the cam lean and found it was slightly worse than before. I pressed the bow and proceeded to adjust the cables until I removed most of the lean but left some in. I put the loop about 1/8th high and the rest at centershot, which by the way, is WAY out there (didn't measure though). I then started to shoot through the paper. I got a right tear, moved the rest left, still right tear but not as bad, moved the rest left more and more and more to near the end of the extended windage bar adjustment. I finally achieved a perfect bullet hole tear. Not happy with the fact that the arrow was WAY outside centershot, I tried to figure out why I could be getting that much a right tear at centershot. I finally found out that the lean in the cams would cause the string to be pushed to the right at the end of the shot cycle. I adjusted the rest of the lean out of the cams and move the rest back to centershot and shot a perfect bullet hole the first shot. I am experiencing the double bump that RobVos was talking about. It happens right at the end of the draw cycle when the cable get to the flat part of the cable track (the stop). I waxed the cable serving and it slides down into the track smoothly now but I'm still not quite happy with it. I know it might be a dumb question, but is there a cable slide out there that would offer less clearance than the one that came stock?? The centershot is so far out I could probably move the cables 1/2 inch to the right and still not have any clearance problems. That would also clear up the cable double bump into the stop track.

Thanks again for any responses.

MN_BOWHUNTER

walks with a gimp 03-29-2004 11:59 PM

I don't know of any aftermarket slides that specifically offer more offset but you might be on to something. Try some different ones and let us know. My centershot positions the left side of the string with the left side of the riser proper (not including the wood grip or shelf extension) and point of the arrow as viewed from behind.

MN_BOWHUNTER 03-30-2004 08:29 AM

I stopped at the shop on the way home from work and looked at all of the slide options they had, which wasn't many. None of them offered any more offset than the stock slide. I should have looked at their suppliers catalog to see if there were any other options. So if anyone knows of a cable slide that will have more offset (less fletch clearance) please let me know.

Aside from that issue, I really like the bow. It really shoots great, not quite as quiet as my Patriot Single cam but almost. Just as fast with the same arrow as the single cam but 7 lbs less draw weight. Pretty stout draw force curve and the valley isn't as narrow as I thought it might be. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much past 10 yards in my garage but heading to the shop tonight to sight in at 20 and shoot my technohunt league.

MN_BOWHUNTER

walks with a gimp 03-30-2004 10:45 AM

Maybe BowTech will offer an adjustable cable rod in the future? I liked the ones on my Darton bows (not necessarily the design) because I could minimize the stress on the system while getting the clearance I needed.