Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 People that don't tune your bows >

People that don't tune your bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

People that don't tune your bows

Old 03-22-2004, 03:36 PM

Default RE: People that don't tune your bows

Another Randy Ulmer idea is the 5 steps to tune your bow (less with most modern rigs). So five minutes later with a perfectly shootable rig, you're ready to go.

If you're shooting arrows that sprint along at "IBO speeds" you have the choice of using either big fletches, a drop away rest, and a regular head Say COC Grizzlies at 100 grains; or you can shoot say NAP 2 blades small fletches, and your regular rest. Some guys may not want to tear apart their hyper tunned 3D bow just to shoot a deer so they strap on a mechanical. The exact opposite reason of the guy who coukldn't figure out how to tune his bow.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM

OH YEAH WELL MY KID BEAT UP YOUR HONOR STUDENT
Old 03-24-2004, 11:27 PM
pup

WELL............MY DAD COULD BEAT YOUR DAD UP!

Ok but seriously Im gonna have to go with bow fanatic on this one, i shoot fixed blade because mechs are illegal in my state but i would shoot mechs if i could, i like the way they fly what can i say, But as it is now im shooting fixed blades and have my bow tuned good enough to group them at 60 yards but does that meen if i switch to mechs i no longer know how to tune a bow? give me a break
Old 03-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack, I guess I'm only half the idiot you are. I tune my bows th o the nth degree and shoot fixed blade heads. But my hunting arrows weigh in at 316 grains. Last deer I shot quartering away and the arrow penetrated and broke the offside shoulder bone, flattening the stainless tip (Wasp SST Hammer) and bent the ferrule. Deer piled up after 90 yards. All this fro a bow shooting 237fps. How much KE is this?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:09 PM

How much KE is this?
39 ft lbs. of energy.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:19 AM
cj5

hey there , first timer here and just had to throw my half cent in. i dont think it matters whether you shoot equipment that you paid fifty bucks for at a yard sale or eight hundred bucks at a pro shop, the equipment is only as good as the shooter. the indians didnt have bows that shot at lighting speeds with lightweight arrows and the fancy broadheads or sights and releases and all that good stuff we have today ,all they had was a stick and a string with a shorter stick with a rock at the end of it and they still managed to eat! point being if the shooter aint worth a sh@#@# then neither is the equipment..thank you
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 AM

Fish:

You should think of other peoples' feelings before you openly reveal that your arrow did all that damage after sputtering along at 237 fps. Don't you know that there are shooters reading this stuff and they are only a season away from attaching JATO pods to their shafts and launching them from a mini steam operated catapult?

You sure know how to bust bubbles!
Old 03-29-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

c903,
My point was that it does not take a lot of KE to blast through deer. They just aren't big animals such as Elk or Moose. The other thing about that FAST bow (237fps) was that it would shoot bare shafts 35 yards and all that you cold see going was a nock. AND, the point being was that all the momentum was straight behind that little broadhead giving the best penetration for the setup OK, you came up with 39' pounds which got the job done, but I knew it was low enough as to not allow a best case scenerio for expandable heads. A lot of times it just comes down to common sense, if you know what I mean.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Redpath
Remember a time when bowhunters used a rock strapped to a stick? alot of critters died because of this leap in technology. It all boils down to shot placement.....
Yep sticks and stones worked at one point in time
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey yall, im a cincinnati boy, however here is my take on mechanical and fixed broad heads....i have used both and still do, i have killed deer with both. For mechanical i use a spit fire 100gr. and it is awesome, great penetration and it puts a hole in the animal like u wouldnt beleive. For mechanical i use a muzzy 100gr, predator, and other ones that are available i have no favorite. I shot a deer this past year with a $3.oo dollar fixed broadhead and he took 2 steps and dropped!!! Other times it doesnt turn out that way, and for mechanical ive made long shots and dropped them as well. So my take is they both work they have both advantages.

Quick Reply: People that don't tune your bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.