Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Might Mite and wrong draw length >

Might Mite and wrong draw length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Might Mite and wrong draw length

Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Might Mite and wrong draw length

Thanks for all the input guys. This was exactly what I was wondering. I mean I've shot 28" dl for 2 yrs now and then this guys puts me at 30". I've been drawing the bow here and there and I can now tell its too long. Looking at the stuff you've pointed out, it's noticable to me now. Again, thank you for all your input the is a great site for info and help.
Greg.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:55 AM

I would say 29" I agree with PABowhntr, it will straiten out your upper body. and allow you to bend your arm a touch. If you hunt from a trestand and a deer is under you, it is very hard to bend over and get a shot if your upper body is arched like that. You will tend to creep out of the valley (because it is hard to bend over and stay arched) and the string will want to jump.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm actually thinking 28, but maybe 29 would be better for you. The draw looks too long the way it is, especially judging from your first picture. Don't worry about the nose thing. I am 6'2" with and shoot a 39 in A to A, and even have a big nose, and my string does not touch my nose.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 PM

Definatlly to long. To long of a draw will cause poor groups lots of left and right. You should have equal pressure on each foot and be totally square arm should never be locked. Slightly bent you should shoot with back tention and pulling slightly against the wall of the bow most coaches will tell you to be shorter not longer the release goes off a lot easier.

Varmint
Old 03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are drawing 30"s in the pictures you posted , Id say try 29 , looks like that would be about right for you .
Old 03-17-2004, 06:47 PM

You are always better to have your draw length to short. Your bow arm should be bent. Some say just a little i say more then that. Once you build the strength in the tricep it will be really comfortable. I think that you should go down to 28 inches, at least. There are two reasons for this, your bow arm, and were you anchor your realease. For you best shooting you should be in T form. Your anchor is high on your face. If you anchor below the chin you will be in proper form. Also this will make your pins closer together which is always better. Just a suggestion, it has to be somfortable to you. It looks like you are using a short-n-sweet release am i correct? Great choice. If you go to a below the chin anchor you can put your index finger over the release and "Pull" the trigger with your middle finger. Also make sure you are pulling with the second pad of your finger. I know that it is hard to untie the rope but it will make you better to shorten it the second pad of the finger. When setting someone up on a bow I always start out to short and add length. Just for a reference I'm 6 ft. 1 In tall 200lbs and i draw 27inches. If you liked my advise and have other questions just reply back. hope i helped
Old 03-17-2004, 08:28 PM

Gee, you really look uncomfortable and 'out-of-form' in those pictures. It is a shame there are so many varying opinions on the subject of proper form. In my shop, one of the things we do is change the draw lengths on new purchases quite a bit to 'adjust' the person rather than 'adjust' the bow.

Besides, I find the BowTech draw lengths to be normally 1/2+" too long anyway. If you had a 28" module, my equipment would probably read it at 28 1/2". This, from what I've seen in the pictures, would be far better for you than 30" (which would actually be 30+").

Just the other day I noticed that my peep had turned on my backup bow that I haven't shot since November. I shot it a bit and it really felt bad and I wasn't shooting my norm. I checked it closely and found that my 'custom' string that WASN'T supposed to stretch had grown quite a bit. I wouldn't expect a string to stretch that much just setting there for 4 months, but it did. No broken strands that I could detect; but, it moved a lot. I checked the DL and found it to be around 30+". I normally shoot between 29 1/4 to 29 1/2".

Tonight I changed the string and got it back to -29 1/2". I shot a LOT better. I then tweaked it down to 29 1/4+" and found myself really shooting great with it again.

I'm telling you this for two reasons. First, new strings do make a difference; and, second, draw length is a critical factor.

If you came into my shop, we'd find that 'sweet spot' in DL for you and then you'd know where you feel most comfortable and shoot the best. Right now you're just bouncing around in a 2" quandary.[:@]
Old 03-18-2004, 06:59 AM

Ewolf, actually I'm shooting a Carter release. Not sure on which one but has an adjustable strap on it. That was another thing the Proshop done was shorten it way up. I had it set so I was shooting with the front of my finger and they set it up so I'm shooting with the third pad of my finger. I'm just amazed that I use to shoot 28" so well (1- 1.5" groups at 20yrds) and he says this will make me even tighter groups. Thanks for all the input.
Greg.