HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How far can I loosen my limb bolts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/55601-how-far-can-i-loosen-my-limb-bolts.html)

121553 03-11-2004 09:30 AM

How far can I loosen my limb bolts?

The snow is starting to leave and I just started shooting again yesterday but I failed to write down what my poundage was on my bow when I was hunting last year as I cranked up the poundage on it during mid- season last year. I want to set the bow to the minimum setting till my muscles get conditioned again but how do I find the minimum setting without the limbs coming off? Or do the limb bolts keep spinning to keep the limb from flying off if loosened too much?
I can't take the bow to an archery shop cause the nearest one is two hours away. The bow is this TRX with a setting of 60-70#'s and I think I'm at around 65#'s but not sure really so my question is, how far can I loosen these limb bolts to the minimum poundage without the limbs coming off, or will they? Thanks for any feedback guys, Bobby

Rack-attack 03-11-2004 09:34 AM

RE: How far can I loosen my limb bolts?

I would crank it all the way up again - then back off no more than 4 turns.

PABowhntr 03-11-2004 09:44 AM

Ditto on what Rack stated but I am going to be a little more conservative and say 3 turns. Most of the NAAG bows, like your TRX, normally peak significantly above their listed peak draw weight but one or two, like the G2, peak at or below.....or you could just take it to a shop and have them check it out for you.

121553 03-11-2004 08:38 PM

Thanks guys, thats a start, I'll crank it up and then back off at least to get me going, Bobby

Fieldmouse 03-13-2004 05:49 AM

I don't own your type of bow but I have adjusted a few. Your bolts will loosen and you'll know before your limb falls off. You probably can olny go one or two turns on one before you do it to the other. You should have an owners manual. If you don't go online and find one. You need to make sure your string is the same distance from the top and bottom limbs. Find a good place to measure it between your nock and the end.

Arthur P 03-13-2004 07:52 AM

On today's bows, limbs don't 'fall' off. They're still under tension when the bolt hits that last thread and they can whack the snot out of you. And you can't put the bow back together without a bow press.

I agree with Rack and PA. And Fieldmouse's suggestion to get a manual for your bow is good too.

Fieldmouse 03-14-2004 07:05 AM

I guess thats the advantage of Oneida Bows. I broke down my Oneida Tomcat all the way to tighten some bolts. It took 1 hour to take a part, put back together and sight back in. Then it was off to my evening stand. No bow press at all.

Raymond van Halm 03-14-2004 07:26 AM

I checked on my old PSE Mach6. It took 17 full turns from bottem till the bolts came off. I did it witout strings or cables attached as you can understand. Than i tood a close look at my Mathews' . The bolts are about the same length and i guess the tread thats on them also.
When i have to put my Mathews' in the bowpress i allways untighten the limbs 5 turns.
See if you can get a manual or ask the manufacter of your bow by email.
Dont be scared to turn it back 5 or 6 turns tho. It should easely be done.

Shootem up870 03-14-2004 09:01 AM

raymond is right. i looked in my owners manual awhile back and i can turn my bow a maxium of 6 turns out from being maxed out. i would crank it all the way up and then turn each bolt 6 full turns.