Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Who makes their own strings. >

Who makes their own strings.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who makes their own strings.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Who makes their own strings.

Who makes their own strings and cables. I have never done it, but a friend of mine has everything for it and I am thinking of buying his gear. He tells me you can make a better string/cable than you can buy.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Who makes their own strings.

I have been making my own strings for over a year now. Once you get the materials needed it is a lot cheaper than going and buying new strings and cables. I have been using Ultracam, 452 and 450 plus string materials.....
Old 03-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make my own and it can be done cheaply and with high quality IF you know how to make them right. I was taught by a top 3D pro and my strings settle VERY little and the peep doesn't rotate at all.

At one time when WC came out, custom strings were VERY expensive or a shop could make them, which was hit or miss on the quality. Now there are several other string makers with high quality for much cheaper than WC.

It comes down to a couple of things, personally I just enjoy making them, it takes time to make a set of cables and string and to setup the bow. If you don't enjoy this you can get excellent strings from makers. If you do enjoy the work and you have the equipment its worth it.

For me, I have 4 bow shooters in the family and it is cost worthy for me to do it. The big expense is the jig. Other than that a spool of string will run you roughly $40 and will do several complete bows. Like I said I have 4 bow shooters, so that's 4 compound bows, then add in my wifes hunting bow and my traditional bow (used for fun stump shooting) and it makes it worth it for me.

--Bob
Old 03-11-2004, 08:11 AM

I make my own and I enjoy it, but I wouldn't necessarily be doing it to save money. I like the fact that I control the quality and only I will put as much effort into making my own string, as I do.

The investment can be substantial. I was fortunate, as I have a relative who is a metal worker and made my string jig for me very cheaply. It is more heavy duty then any I have ever seen and after you make a few strings, you'll appreciate a sturdy jig. They aren't cheap unless you can make it yourself.

There are lots of other costs unless you can live with a basic one color string all the time. I bought several spools of material of different colors. I then had to buy serving material for end loops and center servings, once again in different colors. I then bought a few serving jigs, because it's a real pain to be constanly loading a serving jig when you switch servings. You can easily drop $300-$500 or more if you're not careful. Of course, you can always pound some nails in a board and just buy minimal material, but the results and your enjoyment will go downhill quickly, in my opinion.

The other disadvantage is, once you have it, friends will be wanting you to build their strings. I'm constantly building strings for friends and since I'm not doing this to make money, they're jumping at the great deal. Be careful what you choose to do as a hobby!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I also make mine (and friends too). My strings cost about $5 to make and my quality is better that that of the pro shop. And, at $5 you don't feel too bad about tossing a string during the "learning curve". It only takes a couple of strings to get it the way you like them.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I think im going to jump on the opportunity. He has quit shooting so I have been buying up his equipment. I bought his press, which was better than mine. I guess Ill pick up the gig and material as well. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 AM

I've made my own strings and cables for over 20 years, I've even made my own steel cables. It's not hard and easy to learn, my wife has done some of her own also Everyone should learn to do this if they have time and like to fiddle with their archery equipment. With a heavy duty jig and using heavy tension while serving, great results can be obtained easily. IMO it's not the rocket science many would like you to believe. Building them in mass quantites and with very tight tolerances is another story though!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I make my own too and do for a shop. My brother turned my posts down and I made all the rest and figure I have about $35.00 into it plus materials. As said I feel I can control the quality much more then some of the companies strings I've seen. Total cost to make one is the reasons for my pet peeve when I see what some companies charge. You'll enjoy making them.