HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   arrow flight problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/54333-arrow-flight-problem.html)

citori 02-27-2004 07:26 AM

arrow flight problem

I am having tuning problems with a 03 EXT VFT. I am shooting goldtip 55-75 at 28". I was getting good groups(from 70-60LB) on target but got horrible tears in paper when I checked. They are tearing about 3" left. I moved the rest and turned the bow down the max # of turns and still the same thing?????? I am shooting 75gr field tips. Any ideas? I know I could go to 75-95 etc, but why the bad tear even at 60#?

My pro shop says to not worry about it untill it is time to shoot broad heads but it just bugs the crap out of me. He said you can get good groups without good paper tears with field points, which I had already found out.

citori

Archeryman 02-27-2004 07:33 AM

RE: arrow flight problem

Are you sure you are getting proper vane clearance. With a tear that much vanes may be catching rest.

pdq 5oh 02-27-2004 07:34 AM

Could be weak spine, the BowTechs like a slightly stiff arrow. What is your draw length and weight? Are you using a release? It sounds more like form to me. Torquing the riser, not pulling straight through on release possibly.
Archeryman and I were typing at the same time. Rest contact is a good possibility, too.

Arthur P 02-27-2004 07:40 AM

Paper tuning is just as much a test of your form as it is a test of how the bow is tuned. Often a bow will need a stiffer arrow than the charts call for, just because of form issues.

Also, if you've had them awhile, those GoldTips may be worn out. Get hold of some new 5575's and a couple 7595's and do a side by side comparison.

citori 02-27-2004 07:47 AM

I have a 29" draw. I am shooting a drop zone fall away rest. With a release. It just seems strange to me that I can shoot the type of groups I have been shooting with that much of a left tear. I can drop point weight another 10 gr and cut off one more inch of arrow to help make it stiffer?.?.?.?

I have only been shooting these arrow about 2 months. They tear that way from 70#-60#.....that is what is strange....if they are too weak wouldnt I have seen SOME change when I lowered the weight by 10#?

citori

Rack-attack 02-27-2004 07:52 AM

It just seems strange to me that I can shoot the type of groups I have been shooting with that much of a left tear

You can shoot perfect scores with 6" tears - Most top archers want a tear as they like the arrow to have some character as it leaves the bow. 3" tears will not hurt your accuracy with field points.

I highly doupt your GT arrow spine will produce 3" fletched tears.

IMO, It is a matter of torgue, fletching clearance, incorrect center tune, or a combo of these.

Arthur P 02-27-2004 07:54 AM

...if they are too weak wouldnt I have seen SOME change when I lowered the weight by 10#?
Not necessarily. You might've developed a bad torquing problem with your grip.

Roland from Calif. 02-27-2004 08:07 AM

I'm going to say it is torque also. One way to find out for sure is get some else to shoot you bow and see if they get he same tear. I had the same problem with my Mavericks and Len proved to me it was the operator not the bow. Once I learned the correct grip everything was okay.