Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 More bow tuning - level nock travel >

More bow tuning - level nock travel

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

More bow tuning - level nock travel

Old 02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default More bow tuning - level nock travel

The more I tune, the more quesiton I have. Now I'm thinking about level nock travel. Now I understand how the nock should initially be set up in relation to the rest, but I would think there is a theoretical optimal nocking point in relation to the wheels/cams.
If I've got a Patriot Single Cam bow, where would be a good place to tie the nock in? I'm also shooting a Drop Zone fall-away rest that is very adjustable in terms of height, so I figure I can move the rest in relation to this "best nocking point" in relation to the string.

Any theories or tests I can perform to test for level nock travel?

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 02-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More bow tuning - level nock travel

With your arrow comeing off the string level and dead center of the plunger button/rest screw hole
Old 02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was gonna say it like "I set my arrow square to the bowstring and set the rest height so the shaft bisects the rest screw hole(s)"

As for at home testing of SLNT, not very bloody likely You could possibly set up some sort of contraption to test static travel, but in my opinion, dynamic SLNT is where it's at and for that you need high speed video equipment, I believe...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thinking is that if you runt he arrow through the center of the berger hole to the string, you're nock is going to be a little high to compensate for arrow diameter. Thats if you want it perfectly level. Of course this is just theory. Let the bow tell you where it likes it.

As for level nock travel. Until this age old debate gets put to rest with a proven level nock travel bow and all the manufacturers can accomplish this, it doesn't mean too much to me. Consistant nock travel is the key.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Copy and past Rangeball's post here as I agree completely. However, some folks prefer a slightly "high" nocking point on traditional style single cam bows. I have never seen the need with the newer offerings but understood the need for it in the past.

Let me know if you want to use the level set and I will drop it off for you to play with.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Consistant nock travel is the key.
Not necessarily. Look at some of the early single cam nock travel patterns that were really wild. I've posted pictures in the past of the nock travel patterns done on the Apple Tuning Machine, but I do agree that dynamic travel done with high-speed video equipment is the only real test. I shudder to think of what those early nock travel patterns looked like on high-speed video if they were THAT bad being traced on paper.

But as wild as those nock travel patterns were, the were consistent. That is, the bow did the same thing the same way every time. Just because it's consistent doesn't mean it will be easy or forgiving to shoot.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, I come here cause a few short years ago, what I posted above was all gobbly gook to me...

Thanks for the knowledge you and others like you share so willingly and freely.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Black Frog, I think what mm88 meant was as long as nock travel is consistent, you can get a decent tune through repeatability. Forgiving or not, as long as the bow and shooter do the same thing consistently, you'll have good results. When the bow or shooter start throwing in the variables, not such good results. But I agree re: a more forgiving setup. The shooters mistakes are less a problem, as opposed to being amplified (how about the music terminology?).
Old 02-27-2004, 08:57 AM

Fritz,

Your nocking point and "level nock travel" are not the same thing. There is only one optimum nocking point on your bow. You would attempt to find this by having your shaft bisect the berger button hole and then moving the nocking point up or down until you get the best horizontal grouping when tuning at a couple of different distances. With your nock in it's optimum position, you still may not have level nock travel. That has more to do with the bow and cam design.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

pdq-

Maybe the mixup is what we are meaning by the word "consistent". Do you mean consistent as in repeatable? Or consistent as in linear, or no major dips or peaks?

ANY bow will have repeatable nock travel, no matter how bad the nock travel is, the bow will repeat that same travel path every time.

Quick Reply: More bow tuning - level nock travel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.