Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bob Ragsdales reasons for a String loop. >

Bob Ragsdales reasons for a String loop.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bob Ragsdales reasons for a String loop.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 PM

Default RE: Bob Ragsdales reasons for a String loop.

Thanks Rangeball.

Gee Arthur, thanks for the vote of confidence. What's hooey a special plastic?

The super nocks are just the lexan nocks that come with the better Easton shafts. I don't personally have any problem draw cycling with these nocks that have double grooves, and nocking point indents. I don't seem to fall out of the primary indent. A lot of other makers provide something similar, though I have only used the Easton. My arrows don't fall off the string, or go odd places without a loop. In the old days, the Bjorn nocks would actualy bend. The Lexans hold up great. If you were stuck with soft nocks, you could see where the demand for a loop would come from.

There are, however, many other systems that do the same kind of thing the loop does relative to stoping a nock from disconnecting from the string: magnetic nocks where the barrel is permanently attached to the string, haven't tried 'em; metal D-loops, I don't prefer these, but they apparently exist; Double ball nocking system by Truball, a special release is required; the single ball, which I use doesn't seem to have many problems with arrows falling off or anything else, Tom Crowe won 100s of K with this one, though recently I saw where he was shooting a T release, and also a loop; There are also a bunch of releases that "lift and separate" with double jaws and such. I have excellent results with nothing other than the truball screw on nocking point, draw it back, let it down, and you don't have to reseat the nock. It also solves a bunch of the other problems on Bob's list, like peep alignment if that's your bag, point adjustability, low weight is one advantage it has over the loop.

Arthur, really I though you kept up with stuff better!!!

Loops are really cool, they have a few weaknesses, but I don't say they won't work. However they became a massive fad: If you had a loop you were in-the-know, and some people seem to have missed the last 10 years as a consequence.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:39 AM

I use a loop with a nock guide for three primary purposes:

1. Puts my release directly behind and in line with the nock and helps reduce string torque. Nock-guide eliminates misalignment, pressure on nock, and keeps the nock fully engaged on string.
2. Extends, or nearly eliminates wear and breakage of serving. (I would rather replace a loop than have to re-serve.)
3. Eliminates or reduces "strumming" of string which can produce noise regardless of noise eliminators. Why leave more noise for the eliminators to have to suppress?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ossage- I'm with you on this one. I find they create as many problems as they fix. I quit using them last year, and now I take off more than I install in my shop. Geez- how did Terry&Michele Ragsdale get all those shooting awards for years of not using a loop.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:07 AM

Big John:

What problems does a loop create vs. the advantage and that which the loop eliminates?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ossage- I'm with you on this one. I find they create as many problems as they fix. I quit using them last year, and now I take off more than I install in my shop. Geez- how did Terry&Michele Ragsdale get all those shooting awards for years of not using a loop.
The same way all of the people that have gotten them with loops, they were the best shooters. I don't think anyone said that it couldn't be done. I (like several others here) just feel like the pros outweigh the cons. You can be a top shooter with a loop or you can be a top shooter without a loop. For most it's merely a matter of prefernce and conveinence and I for one refuse to ever go back to shooting off of the string. Both will work equally well, shoot what makes you happy and gives you the most confidence!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

They weren't shooting 30" bows at 30" draw lengths when they won those awards either.

Ossage, I didn't mean to come across so terse. Sorry about that. But I still don't see how an arrow, regardless of nock type, can remain fully nocked on the string when it is perpendicular to the riser and the string is running at such an ungodly angle through the nock. When I first tried a release, I went without the loop. I couldn't keep an arrow on the string long enough to shoot it, and that's with a 37" bow at 33" draw. Installed the loop, problem solved.

I've looked at lots of guys shooting off the string and the string is just barely hanging the top corner of the nock when they're at full draw. That flat scares the bejeebers out of me! Who cares about level nock travel when the nock is doing all it can do just to hang onto the string at the beginning of the shot?

Plus, IMO, it's not too darn wise to ever let down - regardless of fancy nocks or hookup system - and not at least check to make sure the arrow is still nocked on the string. I won't even let down with my longbow without checking to make sure the arrow is still nocked! Not checking is a sure way to set yourself up for an eventual dryfire.

And no, I don't keep up with stuff as close as I used to. Just lost interest in all the doodads they're coming up with to solve the problems the last 'development' caused.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What problems does a loop create vs. the advantage and that which the loop eliminates?
The biggest problem is form when using a loop. 90% of the "average" bowhunters, notice I said "average" bowhunters are using a bow that the draw length is too long for them, and are using a non adjustable release, thus they are anchoring way too far back for comfort and shootability. By putting good serving on the string and an eliminator button on and their shooting improves because they're more comfortable and form improves.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 AM

That was my point silentassasin.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was my point silentassasin.
Ah, I see said the blind man
Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a D loop and love it! Shot my Legacy a couple thousand times without a problem. Saves the string serving. I also believe it helps me shoot better. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Bob Ragsdales reasons for a String loop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.