Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning fixed blades ?? >

Tuning fixed blades ??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning fixed blades ??

Old 02-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Tuning fixed blades ??

I agree with Len on this.......there is no reason that you cannot achieve bullet holes with fixed broadheads that fly true and group with your field points.
Lin hit on the the Trilogy and he was right. Although they all have an impact on your accuracy and tuning of a bow, often times the straightness of the arrow itself, is overlooked. Invest in an arrow spinner and shave hours off of your broadhead tuning time. Take your spinner with the next time you buy a dozen arrows and spin each one for straightness. If the shop will not let you pick and choose from their arrows, take the un-straight ones and send them back to the manufacturer for replacement.
Straight arrows make all the difference in the world.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:03 PM

Dale: Very good post. You seem to understand totally what I've been preaching for a long time. We keep arrow spinners at strategic places around the shop and encourage their use. If we get them to shooting straighter arrows, they'll be more successful.

Some have suggested that we, as the PRO Shop, eat the arrows that aren't straight enough. Can you imagine the number of arrows I'd have on my hands if I let customers only select the 'best'? I tell my customers to use them just for practice or to return them to the manufacturers for straight ones. If I would try to return them, I could be 'blacklisted' by all the manufacturers. If individuals start returning them, maybe the manufacturers would start making better products. Just think of thousands of packages arriving from individuals all over the country???
Old 02-15-2004, 03:14 PM

Thanks guys ! This naturally has blown my mind !

The idea of having a tune ........that you can indescriminantly screw on any broadhead ,of any size (maintaining correct spine, weight,etc.).........and hit dead on ...... goes against everything I have heard or been told for years about windplaning and it's effects on broadheads !

I did pick up a spinner last week !! Time to start putting this advice to use !! Thanks again !
Old 02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

cbm, dont expect that to hold true when you are outdoors and have a crosswind of say more than 12-15 mph . My old black knite would stack a fletched fieldtiped arrow , a unfletched fieldtiped arrow , a fletched arrow with a muzzy 3 blade . and a fletched arrow with a magnus 2 blade , all in the same hole , if I did my part , all at 290 fps . That was at 20 yards .
Old 02-15-2004, 07:27 PM

A 747 tuned with 4 computers can drift in a crosswind. While the computers can correct its flight path, no amount of tuning will correct any arrow in a crosswind.

If it's very windy, just try to control your hunting shots to 25 yards or less - I do!