HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Help with bow choices (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/51803-help-bow-choices.html)

Pinetree Hunter 02-03-2004 01:03 PM

Help with bow choices

Hmm.. since it seems impossible to "update" my pearson bow, I talked wifey-poo into okaying a new hunting bow budget. [8D] I'm eyeballing the Alpine Archery Stealth Force and/or Impact Extreme. Any owners out there? I basicly am looking for something with decent IBO speeds (265 or better with 450 grain arrows) and under 40" axle-to-axle. So I am open for suggestions of bows under $500.

PT Hunter

Orions_Bow 02-03-2004 01:58 PM

RE: Help with bow choices

For under 500 I woudl look at a few models such as the following

Reflex Timberwolf
Mathews Classic
Bowtech Blackhawk
Buckmasters G2

Good Luck on your search!

Belle Island 02-03-2004 02:12 PM

I would buy a used bow, a 2002 or 2003. For under $500, you can buy ANY bow that has been made in the last 2 years.

If you buy used, you can get a like new top of the line bow, or you can buy a new mid class bow. You make the call. Check with your local shop, they probably have some good used bows coming in now that the 2004's are out. Good luck.

nubo 02-03-2004 02:37 PM

I definetly believe that a used top of the line bow would be as good or better than a new lower end bow ,this is just my personal opinion. That's what I would do . This is what I did when I bought my first bow .

nubo

Straightarrow 02-03-2004 02:39 PM

There are a ton of bows out there, that fit your criteria. In fact, I believe bows in the $350-$500 range are the best values on the market. Many models with the same components as the big dollar bows, but simply missing one or two "bells and whistles". They are capable of shooting with the best.

I would recommend finding out who has the best proshop in your area (in regards to service) and let them help you decide. They will certainly have a few in your range to choose from that will fill the bill. By the way, Alpine makes a fine bow.

hdsanders 02-03-2004 02:41 PM

If you look at the used bow route. I would suggest looking for a Mathews MQ1.

Deleted User 02-04-2004 01:04 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Pinetree Hunter 02-05-2004 08:03 AM

Thanx folks! I have only two "near-by" shops and one is REAL fond of Alpine, as in anything else is a special order item. The other shop which is in Panama Bch. has a wider choice of new bows, but their used selection is like old Bear Whitetail II's and a Hoyt dinosaur. [:o] I figure after the end of the month when our 2nd archery/muzzleloading season closes, the used selection should go up. I don't reckon many archers will do the trade-ins during hunting season. Course, I just visited the Merlin site and like the Vision also.. *sigh* SOOOO many choices, so little money..[:'(]

PT Hunter

Straightarrow 02-05-2004 11:36 AM

Keep in mind that used bows don't come with warranties, so deal with a shop that will stand behind the bow, if you don't know much about repairing your own equipment. If you are experienced, and know your proper (measured) AMO draw length, then you could buy a bow sight unseen, and make do with it, even if it's a lemon. Also keep in mind that very few bows actually have the drawlength that is marked on the limb. Some vary a little and others vary a lot. A good proshop will be able to get you exactly what you need, despite what it says on the bow label.

Pinetree Hunter 02-07-2004 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Keep in mind that used bows don't come with warranties, so deal with a shop that will stand behind the bow, if you don't know much about repairing your own equipment. If you are experienced, and know your proper (measured) AMO draw length, then you could buy a bow sight unseen, and make do with it, even if it's a lemon. Also keep in mind that very few bows actually have the drawlength that is marked on the limb. Some vary a little and others vary a lot. A good proshop will be able to get you exactly what you need, despite what it says on the bow label.
I found out about the labels the hard way.. [:@]
BUT I did get to talk to an old fashioned Pro-shop in Panama City, who is gonna let me have a HCA Premier Pro normally marked $549 for $449 since it's last year's model (2003) and set it up and tune it for free:D... so I have to choose between it and the Merlin Vision.