Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 stabilizer lengh >

stabilizer lengh

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

stabilizer lengh

Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default stabilizer lengh

what weight and lengh of stabilizer is best on a short ata bow?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: stabilizer lengh

That depends on the specific dimensions of that short bow and on the personal feel of the individual shooter.

However, I have come to find that for hunting I prefer a relatively short stabilizer on a short axle to axle length bow. Weight and its subsequent distribution along the length of the stabilizer seems to be just as critical of a factor though.

Just to throw a suggestion out there....probably 6 inches or less with weight evenly distributed along the length of the stabilizer.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

That depends on the specific dimensions of that short bow and on the personal feel of the individual shooter.
Thats very true.

The best thing to do is find a Pro Shop who carries a varity of Stabilizers who is willing to let try them.
Cause what feels right for me might feel like crap to you.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:31 AM

I would say that for hunting, a 6 to 8 inch stab is about as long as is tolerable by most people. A hunting length stab doesn't add much "wand" effect like an 18 to 30 incher does for target applications. Generally hunting length stabilizers add weight and help to cancel out unwanted vibration and noise more that help accuracy. I've forgot to screw on my stabilizer on my hunting bow a few times before I started shooting and noticed no difference in accuracy but there was something "missing". Only to finally get curious enough to look over my bow to discover there was no stab!!![&o]