Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Confusion and frustration >

Arrow Confusion and frustration

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Confusion and frustration

Old 02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Confusion and frustration

Kelly, what the deflection numbers mean is how much they deflect over a 28" span with a 1.94# (I think) weight hung from them in the middle. A 340 spine deflects .340", a 400 deflects .400", and so on.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:53 AM

My advise first is to get away from aluminum arrows if say your shooting a lot .watch a slow motion video .carbon arrows will take a beating and keep there straightness ,i miss 3D targets on ocausion and where an aluminum arrow would be totaled out a carbon ,will shoot the the rest of my targets .As for hunting I have seen cxl select 150 with 125 grain broadhead .bowtech pro 38 295 fps 65 lbs bast through a shoulder blade . A 250 cxl would of been a better arrow but was not my bow so.
I don't play around to much if it works .I think some shooters get to suffisticated in there set up .It sounds like the 400 cxl is way to much spine for u unless you have your bow set 85 lbs and want to take down an elephant .Try the 200 Select carbon express 250 ,150 .
My bow is 57 lbs
Arrow lengh 26 3/4,250 cxl select 80 grain speed points .3D set up
Hunting GT 3555 75 grain heads .
Old 02-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

.watch a slow motion video .carbon arrows will take a beating and keep there straightness
I hate to single you out Robinhood as I do tend to agree with you to a certain extent but there are alot of folks who would disagree with this statement....forcefully.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:41 AM

PA
hi guy ,ya i'm sure some OLD guys would disagree cause they may not want to make the change.But hunting and 3D are to different games .aluminums will probaly never leave the shelf .But i like seeing my 75 grain broad head go 260 fps plus rather than 200.I just see aluminums get destroyed in the 3D woods when a carbon i'm confident to shoot it at the next target or even a deer ,in which i video taped a friend that missed a buck clean and later that evening that same arrow drilled a doe.Carbon.
I do like the price of Metal thou.LOL
We are all intitled to or own wrong opinion ,thats what makes these message boards so fun .Plus i can meet new friends ,and get more info myself.
I was esatent to shoot carbon,and always shot easton 2117's.If i did shoot aluminums those are what i would look for.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robinhood, you mean the 'old guys' that have been doing this for a lot of years and have a buttload of experience to back up their likes and dislikes?
Old 02-03-2004, 12:42 PM

buttload
Yup, that about sums it up[]
Old 02-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get no freakin' respect...[X(]
Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Most folks cut their arrows so that the point of the arrow is 1/2 - 3/4" past the rest at full draw.

Does it hurt if it's a tad longer, say cuz of clearance problems due to broadhead width?

PT Hunter
Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't hurt to have excess arrow hanging out there if you need it for clearance and your arrows fly true. In fact, some people fine tune their arrow's spine by varying their arrow length until they get it just right.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

It doesn't hurt to have excess arrow hanging out there if you need it for clearance and your arrows fly true. In fact, some people fine tune their arrow's spine by varying their arrow length until they get it just right.

Yep ,definetely some buttload of experience here.

I allways start with em a little long and cut em down as necessary.Cheaper than buyin 3 dozen arrows.

CB

Quick Reply: Arrow Confusion and frustration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.