Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Mathews new Ovation too long...? >

Mathews new Ovation too long...?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews new Ovation too long...?

Old 01-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mathews new Ovation too long...?

I think that it depends on t he kind of terrain that you hunt. Most of the stuff that I hunt would be categorized as thickets and is so thick that 90% of the shots are coming inside of 15 yards. The issue is to be able to manuever and make the shot without having to trim away too much cover. So in those types of circumstances the compact bow helps a good bit. But if you're hunting big timber then a longer bow and its less critical nature would be better on balance. It just depends.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do alot of elk hunting, antelope hunting and mule deer hunting. I shoot all of my elk from a crouching knee position. Antelope hunting is primarily from a blind and mule deer is spot and stalk in open country wher you are hiding behind knee high sage brush . I feel that I have a bigger advantage with a shorter bow. I also have shot many animals from the sitting position. I could get the job done with an Ovation but I know that a shorter bow would come in handy in many situations. Especially when packing in. I carry my bow on my pack and I know that when I sit down, It stands a better chance at being damaged when I drop my pack. I plan on buying an Ovation this year for 3_d however. I am getting pretty competitive on the 3-D range and this bow has all that I am looking for in a 3-D bow.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 AM

40" is too long for some and just right for others. I tend to hunt in tree stand, with lots of undergrowth and very close shots. Pure forgiveness is not as important. I virtually never shoot farther then 20 yards. In these situations, I've had bows that were in the 36-40" range, that were too long for a comfortable shot in many instances. When in the stand, I want to be able to clear the arm rests on my treestand, and have shot opportunities very close to the tree I'm in. Shooting while sitting is also much easier with a short bow. For my style of hunting, short is an advantage.

If I was hunting on the ground or out west, were the undergrowth is a lot more sparse, I'd consider the 40" bow, a short one.

No one bow can meet the needs or desires of everyone.