HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Mathews Outback (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/49742-mathews-outback.html)

BHunter32 01-17-2004 09:15 AM

Mathews Outback

I got my hands on the new outback yesterday at my proshop. I really like the new realtree HD camo, looks great. I hung it back on the rack, another guy picked it up and proceeded to dry fire it. :eek:OUCH. The shop owner wasn't very happy. What is the date that the ata show begins,as I can't wait to see what else they have in store? The outback has a real parrallel limb design and a high brace. It reminds me of a souped up version of the mq32. THe string colors are different, black and brown. I don't know if it is the same material that came with the lx or not. THe grip has a centerline marking on it, something about the string being more in line with the center of the bow. It draws and holds super smooth too. I couldn't tell difference in the bottom cam, but it looks alot like the hp cam on the lx. I'm sure their is a difference, but I didn't have alot of time to check it out. The zero tolerance limb pockets, string suppresors and roller guard are all standard on it as well. Over all in my opinion a great looking bow. Bhunter 32.

jag-mag 01-17-2004 09:31 AM

RE: Mathews Outback

The outback seems heavier and not as balanced as the bowtech justice
just my opinion. Oh and the justice is 129 bucks cheaper in my area.

Jeff K 01-17-2004 10:47 AM

Most of Mathews bows are around 4.3lbs or so, if you put in different Harmonic Dampeners it makes it even heavier, but I shot one at my local proshop, and it is one sweet bow, to me the only Bowtech that comes close is the Liberty, but it is not that close (my opinion!!)! It is very well belanced, nice smooth draw, it has the slighty rounder HP cam, it is Mathews most extreme Parallel Limb Design ever, to me it awesome!

Elkcrazy8 01-17-2004 11:40 AM

I have shot Mathews bows for several years and really like their product. I think that I will steer clear from the outback however. The bow is great , for me the ATA is short. With shorter bows there is often canting problems. The bow is probably great for hunting but I also shoot competitive 3-D with the same bow I hunt with. The longer bows seem to work better for me. My LX is a little short for competitive shooting but allows me to handle it better than the real long ones in the field. I think that Mathews was going after a certain market when they built this one. But that is just my opinion. I have no doubt that it is a well made bow and may work for you. By the way, my wallet is still recovering from buying my LX.

BB9 01-17-2004 01:36 PM

Still waiting on my 2 Outbacks to come in but today was able to spend a lot of time with a 70# Outback in the shop. I had a chance to alternate shots between the Outback and the following bows; The LX, Legacy, the Bowtech Patriot, Liberty, Justice, and Mighty Mite VFT. ALL great bows, but without a doubt the best was the Outback. Quiet, smooth, no shock, and great looks. In my mind there was a difference.
In regards to some peoples concern over the short ATA consider this. When companies first came out with short bows the limbs were long and risers were short. Thus, problems with overall stability. Now, with a riser as long as the LX, limbs shorter and much more parallel, with the addition of enough weight (less weight means less stability) means you have a short bow that acts and feels like a longer bow. In my opinion the Outback was even more stable than the other bows of 34-37 I have tried. People who think the outback is a short version of the LX, or a SQ2 on steroids are just wrong!

RoyD 01-17-2004 02:54 PM

Jag Mag

Here in my area Mathews LX-$599, Legacy-$569, Q2-$549
Bowtech LIberty-659, Justice-659, PatriotVFT-659

Talking about overpriced!!!

Deleted User 01-17-2004 04:56 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

jag-mag 01-17-2004 05:08 PM

bwrong I would like to know where you seen this price in my area? Im
being charged 619 with out tax from mouldys archery that is 5 miles down the road from me. The out back is going for 739 with out tax at scheels sporting
goods chain.

Greg / MO 01-17-2004 05:45 PM

I shot the Outback today as well. Extremely smooth, quiet, no jump after the shot, and well-balanced. It is quite a bit heavier than I'm used to; I think that's because the riser's so much thicker. Throw in string suppressors, harmonic dampeners, and the big metal holder for the roller guards as opposed to carbon, and it adds up to quite a bit extra weight. Of course, that all probably helps soak up vibration a bunch too, as this bow was whisper quiet without a stabilizer or limb savers or leeches.

One shop had it at $629; the one I shot it at today had it at $629.

Jag-mag, sounds like that Scheels place is just plain trying to rip everyone off.

psuross 01-17-2004 05:52 PM

Anybody have a picture of one?