Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Would the Hybrids be popular if.....? >

Would the Hybrids be popular if.....?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Would the Hybrids be popular if.....?

Old 01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Would the Hybrids be popular if.....?

After seeing the new Champion line of bows and reading about their new hybrid cam I started to wonder something. Would the hybrid cam be so popular right now if Hoyt had not come out with the Cam.5 system last year? I know...I know.....Merlin came out with it as the same time approximately and Champion has supposed to have been working on it for two years but....do you folks think the hybrids would be where they are at today if Hoyt had not done what they did last season? I mean Darton has been pushing the hybrids for quite some time now without it really catching on but now it seems they are coming out of the woodwork. Is a strong marketing approach really all that is needed to get a new concept going?

This should be a good one for you P12 as it falls right into your line of thinking that we will all come back to duals eventually.

Comments?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 AM

Default RE: Would the Hybrids be popular if.....?

It seems it always takes one of the big players with agressive advertising to get a new concept into main stream.

I guess you can say the same thing about Solo Cams And Mathews

BTW - those Champions do look like some real nice bows..........HMMMMMMM
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts are this. Hoyt has a very good reputation and a lot of folks through the years have always looked at Hoyt as one of those "Fred Bear" type companies. Ones that have been in this rodeo for a while. Hoyts marketing is very strong and yes, that does play a major factor. If Bowtech next year comes out with a radical new idea for something that really does work, it will probably take off as well. People are gaining trust in them, just like a lot of people have Hoyt over the years.

Then again, I don't know. From what I have heard, Mathews sales are continuing to fall regardless of how bad they bash Hoyt in the magazines.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Rack. For instance, Darton is not heavily advertised and I don't see many Darton shooters in my area, but there may be one more this year if I get ahold of a Maverick and shoot it.

Its funny how heavy advertising can put a company in the forefront and its up to them to make good on their promises in their ads. Seems like Hoyt, Matthews and Bowtech have done that! Remember......Bowtech and this new Hoyt are relatively new. Hoyt is not the same ole Hoyt I grew up hearing about. Even Matthews has grown up some. I remember people poking fun at the Solo cams at first, heck, everyone thought they were just a spin off of McPhereson. What a difference a few years made!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on my second year with them , and they are working good for me . To answer the origanal question , I would say hoyt had a major impact when they change all of their bows to the curant configuration , and of coarse all that free advertising mathews did for them did'nt hert any . I still say they are going to merge as one company , why else would one company do so mutch advertising for another ?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is a strong marketing approach really all that is needed to get a new concept going?

Yes...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first move was from all wood bows to fiberglass backed bows. Then to eccentric energy wheels. From eccentric energy wheels to hard cams. Hard cams to single cams. Now, singles to hybrids. The historical progression provides proof positive that archers have a well developed herding instinct.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

The historical progression provides proof positive that archers have a well developed herding instinct.
ROTFLMAO
Old 01-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, You forgot to include one important piece of the history of the hybrid/cam.5 system.

Mathews actually built the world's first Cam 1/2 system back in 1993 (their testing proved it to be an inferior to the single cam).

Just think if they could have made it work and if they would have marketed it the way they did the SoloCam.

Just more food for thought.....
Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Would the hybrid cam be so popular right now if Hoyt had not come out with the Cam.5 system last year?
Short answer? Absolutely not.

Darton has been pushing the system for nearly 10 years with limited sales success. Very good cam system, critically acclaimed, but unpopular w/ the masses due to Dartons historic inability to put the cam system on a bow that would shoot as smoothly, and quietly as the popular singles. I love the CPS, but I never could find a bow that I really liked to shoot that used it. Martin unsuccessfully tried to bring them out (licensed) in the late 90's and after one production year they were dropped..much for the same reason I suspect.

Hoyt was able to put their version on a very quiet, shock free, smooth shooting platform, and that is why they have done so well. Their name recognition helps, but Hoyt also has brought out plenty of not so good dual and single cam systems over the years too (performa cams, power cams, their original single, 2001 V-cam).

I personally think that single sales will level off..drop a fairly significant amount, Hybrids will take up most of that slack, and duals will gain a small percentage of it too. But I don't think singles will "die" at least in the near future. There are plenty of hunters and target shooters who are perfectly happy with them.

Quick Reply: Would the Hybrids be popular if.....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.