Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrows for lighter drawweight >

arrows for lighter drawweight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrows for lighter drawweight

Old 01-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default arrows for lighter drawweight

Can anyone recommend a hunting arrow for 40lb draw weight at 24 inch draw for a Bowtech Lady Hawk? Thanks
Old 01-02-2004, 12:51 PM

Default RE: arrows for lighter drawweight

Gold Tip 3555's will weigh about 300 grains for her.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you know my philosophy. The less energy you've got, the more you have to rely on momentum. So, I'd say go with an XX78 1816 w/100 gn cut on impact broadhead like the Magnus Stinger. Should be good for about 370 grains total. Not much to brag about, but it'll give her every bit of whomp that bow can deliver without absolutely killing her trajectory.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

arthurp,

I was actually considering going with the 1816's inorder to get the wieght up to 350 or above. I don't have any experience with the 1816's though and I was wondering how tuff they are and what the overall feel about how good of a hunting arrow they are. When it comes to aluminum arrows I do value your opinion
Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

I'm nor Arthur, but had my son use a similar setup years ago. It was a hoyt raider set at 40# he used 1816 easton aluminum shaftes with a 125 grn fixed blade BH. He took a 6point bull with it at 15 yds. The arrow sunk up to the fletchings just over the heart, the bull went 60 yds and went down. So yes a similar setup would be very effective for deer or elk. I believe his setup would be good to 30yds. But like Arthur mentioned before, if I had to do it again I would go to cut on impact heads such as the Magnus stinger, although he had no trouble with the fixed blades, it's that the others penetrate because of less resistance and no chisel tip to break through tough skin.
Click here to check out his bull. elknut1
http://www.elknut.com/files/Paul_7.JPG
Old 01-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a carbon, a Terminator Select from Carbon Express in size 45/60 w/a 125 grain point should do quite well.

That or a Beman Pultruded Carbon; click here. Using a good drop-away w/ the outserts and G-nock adapter will give you a very good penetrating shaft. Along the same line the ST AXIS in size 500.

W/ a good sharp cut to the tip like a Steel Force, Phantom or RazorBack, she should be good to go.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

SA, elknut covered it pretty well on the 1816's. Small diameter, thick wall arrows bend a little easier than larger diameter, thick wall arrows will, but they won't cave in like larger diameter arrows of similar weight. I seriously doubt that she will have too many problems with bent arrows using a 40 pound bow though.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:39 PM

go to eastons website
Old 01-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Definetly go light such as the Carbon Force 100's

nubo
Old 01-05-2004, 01:27 AM

I used to use a PSE Bandit with 24"dl set at 34# at first and as high as 43# towards the end of it's use. I always used a 1816 with an 85 grain broadhead. The spine was right. They flew fine.

There is also a 1916 if you want to shoot 25 inch arrows with heavier broadheads. That would be a heavier arrow. Not sure if they would be over spined or knot. You might need to put a heavy tip on it if the over-spine makes the arrow hit to the left.

Quick Reply: arrows for lighter drawweight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.