Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Feather shooters >

Feather shooters

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feather shooters

Old 12-30-2003, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Feather shooters

For a basic explanation:

The two primary purposes and affect of feathers and vanes upon a shaft are to, as efficiently and as quickly as possible, "stabilize" the shaft when shot and "control" in flight.

As the arrow leaves the string, the feathers/vanes serve to straighten out the bending actions of the shaft (stabilize) and to guide and control the shaft in flight. The "control" aspect applies to the fact that a "fixed" blade broadhead will control and affect the flight and accuracy of the shaft if the feathers/vanes lose control. The size of the feathers/vanes become more critical with heavy setups (arrows) and as the speed of the shaft slows.

Therefore, for "fixed" blade broadheads, especially shot off the high-energy and fast compounds that are out there today, I personally would not use anything less than a 5" feather/vane.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

Jeff knows too much about arrows
Nope..there's always something new to learn!

Gro,

Yup...been there, done that as the saying goes Congrats on the new little one, the homestead, and the animals!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info, I got great results with the 4" vanes with the mechanicals this fall but never quite got the results I was looking for with the fixed blades, I blamed it on the inconsistancy in spine/weight with the carbons. I think I'll give the 5" feathers a try. Either that or break done and buy some ACC's. I know what your are saying about the newer bows. With my old Reflex all I do is tune and my fixed bh's are right there. Not so easy with the Mighty Mite but well worth the extra work. Then again maybe it's the bow, I haven't bought a new one in a couple of years.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 PM

4" helical feathers on Gold Tips
Old 12-31-2003, 01:04 PM
AK

I use 5-1/2" mostly, but used 6" feathers last year.

Slight overkill perhaps, but I shoot my arrows from many different bows and the extra length keeps them flying true from all of them. They also keep the arrow stable when taking shots from awkward positions, and when shooting big one-piece broadheads that weigh in at 215 grains.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:31 PM

I agree