Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 copperjohn 4 finger swept release >

copperjohn 4 finger swept release

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

copperjohn 4 finger swept release

Old 12-29-2003, 02:09 PM

Default copperjohn 4 finger swept release

My wife purchased one for me this Christmas. I currently shoot a truball loopmaster. Is there anything I need to know about this release? One thing I have found is that hitting yourself in the mouth hurts.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:47 PM

Default RE: copperjohn 4 finger swept release

That didn't take long did it???No permanent damage, is there?

I found that my natural (and comfortable) alignment was tricky with it and the strap. I'm very comfortable shooting a wrist type release, and a handheld release as well. When I try to combine them, it just doesn't seem to work well for me (alignment issues). If I could use it as a handheld release I think I'd get along well it. The problem there is drawing without my middle finger; can't seem to do it. It felt VERY awkward to me.

On a positive note, I love the feel "at the shot" of the trigger mechanisim and its adjustments (which work very well-better spring tension adjustment than most) and the basic mechanics involved in using backtension to trigger it. I tried it on a genesis with a safe fire thingy at Bedford last year and loved the way the shot broke. But again, pulling weight without my middle finger was plain tuff FOR ME.

I wanted it to work because of the feel of the break and how it allowed the use of proper back tension, but there were too many obsticals to overcome. There is so much more to using a release aid then the actual "firing" function, and that became painfully obvious to me when using this one.

Oh yeah, it fit my hand great. But so does my tru-tension and my trail boss.

My opinion anyway.

-Chief
Old 12-29-2003, 03:08 PM

I understand what your saying about alignment. It will probably take me a while to get use to it. I found that if I shorten the length from head to strap I dont have to use my middle finger as much when pulling back.I like the way the trigger feels and also the fact you use your back muscles when shooting.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:07 AM

I feel that if I use the strap to carry the load of the draw then the "feel" of the body and it's alignment to my hand has been compromised. If I were using it that way I might as well have the two finger model, which is really a one finger release to me, or a standard wrist caliper. The beauty of a handheld release to me is how it helps give proper alignment. I know it is picky but, a wrist strap attachment can't be in the centerline of your elbow to forearm to wrist to hand and release head. It has to be outside of that line. I would love to be able to shoot this release without the strap. The triggering (back) tension would come from that centerline I described and that could possibly an ideal situation. Again, this might seem nitpicky but I know my string arm angle and alignment changes from a handheld release to a strap.

I think they are well made and the trigger mechanism works great. I wish it worked better for me and I hope you two get along well.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on it and the reasons it didn't make it as primary release for me. If you need a back up hoytshooter, I'd consider parting with mine. It has a buckle strap and is in A+ condition.

Good luck!

-Chief
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 AM

I may take you up on that.

have a great New Year.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 PM

Hhytshooter03
You have a Pro Tec in the classifieds. Would like to know the year of the bow?
Thanks!