Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Newbie Question? >

Newbie Question?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie Question?

Old 12-28-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Newbie Question?

Hi Guys new to the site. Just wondered if you where getting into Bow hunting again would you start of with a top of the line bow? Such as Bow tech or Mathews or would you start on a say cabales brand? Assuming you picked up all three brands and they felt good. But I am assuming the highier class bows feel better. Thanks for any help!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newbie Question?

I think starting with a top-of-the-line bow has its pros and cons.

I myself started with a Bear Whitetail Hunter, as I know Matt / Pa and others did as well. Mine was a $100 package from Wal-Mart, used. (Don't ask why Wally World had a used outfit hanging on its rack; beats me, too.) It got me started for very little dough, but -- I could see how it could have been easy to get disapointed since the gear wasn't technically up-to-speed (pun intended ) with all the high-tech stuff out there.

It was amazing how much more fun the sport was when I upgraded to a (then) top-of-the-line bow when I bought my Mathews. Yes, I had put a lot of time in with the Bears, and even took my first whitetail buck with it... but watching those arrows zip into the target in comparison was really, really cool.

I also think that most of the top-of-the-line bows are getting pretty good resale value today, so even if you did buy a high-end bow, you should be able to get your money back or close to it in case you decided down the road not to pursue our sport.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:07 PM

I think most bow manufacturers are doing a pretty good job at making good quality, inexpensive bows for the average bowhunter. So it is not imperative that you go out and spend $1000 on a new set up. However, having said that, I myself enjoy the sport more and have more confidence when I am shooting top of the line equipment. Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That solely depends on you. Are you planning on getting back into it for the long haul? Do you plan to do a lot of bowhunting? How much cash do you have to throw into it to start?

If you don't have to worry to much about spending, by all means buy a good top end bow that feels good to you and you can shoot well. I think starting with "junk" really plays a factor at how successful you are afield and how much fun you have shooting your new bow. Think about it, if you have the money to buy a jaguar, but buy an old clunker, how much are you going to enjoy driving it?

I will stress that you do not by any means need top of the line bows to kill deer and have fun. This is just how I look at it. I'm sure others look at it totally different. I started with an old Golden Eagle bow and killed many deer with it. The more I liked bowhunting, the better of equipment I persued.

I say buy what you want, if it happens to be a Hoyt or Bowtech, great, if not great again. Its not the bow that kills, its the hunter.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

The cabelas line bows are made by PSE... PSE does make some really good equipment and their customer service is top notch... but I think you have to go through cabelas on any warranty work on the cabelas models.