Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton ST AXIS: VERY IMPRESSIVE >

Easton ST AXIS: VERY IMPRESSIVE

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton ST AXIS: VERY IMPRESSIVE

Old 01-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Easton ST AXIS: VERY IMPRESSIVE

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

3 of the full length shafts had a bit of wobble on one end or the other...
Jeff, I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest. Unfortunately, your observation above knocks these Axis arrows out of my consideration. But I'm still interested in how they hold up over time and use. You never know... maybe... perhaps... someday they might get it through their thick skulls that not everyone gets to cut the bad stuff off their raw shafts and they'll start making the $#@! things straight all the way to the ends!

I know Arthur...most of us are lucky in that regard...being able to cut off the bad sections..will keep you updated!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:10 PM

I'm keeping an eye on these axis arrows myself...everything I'm reading here is making it difficult not to go buy a 1/2 dozen right now.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 AM

Jeff, what is your total arrow weight? What grain tip are you using? Also, what
arrow rest are you using to achieve such good flight?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:40 AM

The first time I seen an add for these shafts,I thought,"COOL",,,but now,the more I think about them,and look at them,I can't help but think,"WHY".
Was there a problem with penatration,,with the carbons we have been useing.How "fast" must an arrow go through a deer,before we say,"good enough" ???.I,for one, think the ICS shafts of "yester year",get the job done fine .
I can't see how these "new" shafts are going to be "soo much better" than what we are used to.I know if I decide to give them a try,,I'll be selling them to a friend,after the FIRST time I pull one out of my Mckenzies,and the BH and HIT system,,,STAY BEHIND [X(]
Old 01-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dsheally

Jeff, what is your total arrow weight? What grain tip are you using? Also, what
arrow rest are you using to achieve such good flight?
I have some set up w/ three 4" Dura or AAE vanes in a full left helical and these weigh 396 to 397 grains. I also have some set up w/ 4" feathers in a full left helical and they weigh 380-381 grains.

I am using a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter drop-away on mY BowTech Liberty. In fact I actually tweaked it last week to drop a bit later for more guidance and still am not having any clearance issues.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:37 PM
BB9

JeffB, I am going with the axis at around 400 grains total weight. How has your experience been with vanes vs. feathers accuracy-wise?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Droptines

The first time I seen an add for these shafts,I thought,"COOL",,,but now,the more I think about them,and look at them,I can't help but think,"WHY".
Was there a problem with penatration,,with the carbons we have been useing.How "fast" must an arrow go through a deer,before we say,"good enough" ???.I,for one, think the ICS shafts of "yester year",get the job done fine .
I can't see how these "new" shafts are going to be "soo much better" than what we are used to.I know if I decide to give them a try,,I'll be selling them to a friend,after the FIRST time I pull one out of my Mckenzies,and the BH and HIT system,,,STAY BEHIND [X(]
DT,

I said the same thing 'til I actually started using them. I was interested, but not convinced.

As for pentration, yeah IC carbons do a good job..so does Alum..but I want the best possible pentration, and the smaller you go the better. Out of a "hot" setup, the old Pultrudeds were incredible..and I don't mean ona perfect shot, I mean on those goofs we occasionally have..thats where the benefit is. These new shafts should provide that benefit as well as some others.

I haven't shot any McKenzies but I have been shooting Block & Black Hole targets and pulling them through w/ broadheads (NAP Razorbacks ot be specific) and no problems..I even purposefully twisted them off the blade holes and pulled through. Good enough for me. I don't shoot broadheads at McKenzies personally...tears them up too quick.

The other benefit is point alignment. Which is the best thing IME with them. Just glue in your inserts, let em dry, screw in your broadhead and go shoot them. No having to melt and re-melt Hot melt for alums...no having to use epoxy and spin, spin..twist the insert..spin spin...push the tip of the head down to try and align things...and on the current crop of IC carbons with thier poor components and inconsistent ID tolerances this can be a real pain in the butt. My last doz. Goltip XT's yielded NONE out of 12 that I could get a broadhead spinning straight on. NONE. Some were close..but they all had some wobble..some of them horrendous. I've had the same issue w/ CX and Beman too..it just goes with the territory.

I've cut and fletched 6 of the Axis so far, and all 6 have had fixed blade broadheads on them that spun perfectly straight, and flown w/ my field points.

You may not see the big deal, but AFAIC this is the first promising carbon hunting shaft in years.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BB9

JeffB, I am going with the axis at around 400 grains total weight. How has your experience been with vanes vs. feathers accuracy-wise?
BB9,

I have been getting excellent accuracy with both styles. At longer ranges (35 to 40 yards) I noticed that the feather fletched groups started to open up a tad compared to the vane equipped arrows..I suspected it was because of excessive drag. I refletched them w/ a slightly less agressive helical, and longer range groups tightened right up.

Personally I am a feather proponent, though I do shoot vanes in certain set-ups. In this particular case I was initially concerned about spine being too weak w/ feathers, but that turned out to be no concern at all.

Oh..I'm shooting 100 grain points.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 PM

NICE
Old 01-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I think I'll be using the S/T Axis on my new Patriot dually this season.

nubo

Quick Reply: Easton ST AXIS: VERY IMPRESSIVE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.