Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS >

Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Bob:

Nice target, especially for aluminums. If you shoot carbons into it, please use soap or some other type of lube on the business end of the arrow.

I made a target out of the blue insulation foam left over when I finished out basement. The first arrow I shot into it, I had to flip it over on the back, stand on the target, and use both hands to pull the arrow out. Still almost busted a gut![:@]
Old 12-09-2003, 09:36 PM

I'm gonna make one tiny suggestion that I think might make this cheaper yet.

Did you consider cutting the boards flush with the insulation and using two rachet tie down straps to compress?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you consider cutting the boards flush with the insulation and using two rachet tie down straps to compress?
I guess the reason that I went the way I did was to get as even distribution as possible when compressing the insulation. Thats why I used the angle iron along with the shelfing. The shelfing was already pre-cut at 3' by 16" by 3/4", it only cost $3.5 per sheet. The angle iron was more expensive at $7.50 per 6' length. But that is something that a lot of people either have or can get their hands on. It was just easier for me to buy then to call around. If I recall right my rachet strap (that I use on the tree stands) cost me about $20 for two.

Look around and find some high density styrofoam float logs
Yea, I could but I want to use something easily in front of me. If I had to buy them new, it would probably be pretty expensive.

Instead of the sheets of foam you could try the stuff they use to seal sill plates
Bent arrow, could you give me more info on that. I have no idea what they are. How much are they, how thick are they, where can you get them? How much woirk would be involved cutting and stacking them? Can you give me a link to what they are?

I guess that I used the insulation that I did because if comes folded in sheets that are 4' by 2' by 1/2'. Unfolded they are 50' by 4' by 1/2". So all I had to cut was the 50' length three times on the 4' side. What you see on the target is the three sections (folded back up) stacked on top of one another. It only took about 20 minutes to cut the insulation with a box cutter. And stacking them didn't even take a minute.

The target may not be for everyone, and I am still experimenting with it to see it I will build another one. So far it is working pretty well.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:33 AM

I attempted to build a butt out of the sill seal foam like the block targets. Talk about a P.I.T.A. Harder than hell to stack and after spending 3 hours buiding it my arrows went right through it like butter. AKDoug
Rack Buck
I guess AKDoug has tried this already with bad results. It was just a thought.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, today I am going to replace the insulation on the target for the first time. The original insulation lasted about 7 months and about 4000 shots. My the main setup that I was using was a 70 pound parker and darton bow, 31 inch draw, 2317 aluminums, 5 blade 135 grain inner loc broadhead. I bet it would have lasted much longer using a two or three blade head. It cost me about $26 for the materials that I had to replace. So it cost around 2 cents for every three arrows that I shot, or about $2 for every three hundred arrows that I shot. I think it was probably worth it.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had some people PM me for the materials used, here they are:

2 - 6' pieces of angle iron (cut in half)
2 pieces shelfing 3/4" or 1" -14"-36"
4 pieces all thread 3'

2 handles optional,but it makes it a lot easier to carry
numerous nuts and bolts to attach angle iron to shelfing
1 piece 1/2" - 48" - 50' piece of corning insulation. Cut the 48" side into three equal 16"-50' pieces. It comes prefolded so just fold them up, and stack them. I just used a box cutter

Top view:

Old 07-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Here's mine. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown

Old 08-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

I made one very similar to your's only I used cardboard much cheaper ,hell alot of places give it away and it lasted for years !!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I had to change the insulation again, still finding that I can get about 6 months and 3000-4000 broadhead shots into this target. Not bad considering I was getting passthroughs after about 300 shots into my morrell six shooter.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:15 PM

i made one like yours bobco, but am using the 2 inch thick pink board from corning. i use carbon and soap my arrows every other round. the board is $22, but they usually have ones 1/2 price that are a little beat up at home depot. mine don't last as long as yours though, but still longer than any other broadhead target i've wasted money on.

Quick Reply: Home Made Broadhead Target - PICS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.