Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bloody lip?

Old 12-04-2003, 10:24 PM

Default Bloody lip?

I shot my bow yesterday for 2 hours, and my lower lip started to bleed from the string dragging across it. Is there something wrong with my form? I never noticed it before, but maybe it did drag... I don't have a kisser button.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:19 AM

Default RE: Bloody lip?

IMHO Tabby, if you are getting that much touch on your lip you are also causing string oscilations that you don't need or want. You need to adjust your head just a touch.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like your draw length is too long. I always set my draw length so the string comes right up next to my lip, but not past it. I see a lot of guys shooting a bow that's set so the string comes way back into their cheek. Never have been able to figure out how they keep the string from raking their faces off.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:06 PM

without being able to see you, all I can say is.. YEP, your doing something wrong. Shooting a bow should not cause blood to yourself!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seen a guy at the local pro shop get a bloody lip once but it wasn't from the string touching his lip, his loop came loose on the draw and he socked himself in the mouth. OUCH!!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:48 PM

Ditto on Art's evaluation of problem.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also say Art is right. If your draw is set right then the string is in front of your lips and not back along the side. I can never figure out why people intsall a KISSER button and then drag it back to the corner of their mouth. That ain't kissing at all.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Shooting a bow should not cause blood to yourself!
unless maybe your using a back tension release for the first time![]
Old 12-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Possibly a combination of both draw length and your head turned to much.Which eye are you using through your peep?
I have seen people using the wrong eye which will cause your lip to turn closer towards your string .Just a thought
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the responces.

I shoot with my right eye. Ill have to shoot it and figure out what is going on. Always did drag across my lip, but so much. Maybe is was cause I didn't save for a while?

To bad the archery shot isn't open on mon-wed.

Quick Reply: Bloody lip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.