Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Question >

Fletching Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Question

Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 AM

Default Fletching Question

I have Cabela' s Stalker Extreme arrows and need to change the vanes on some of the arrows as they have been worn. How much of a difference does it make if I cannot match the new vanes with the older vanes. I believe the old vanes are AAE elite platifletch. I have some Bohning 4" vanes. The AAE' s are 3 7/8" vanes. Please advise. Thanks
Old 12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2003, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Fletching Question

Thanks for the reply Navy. I was planning on changing all of the vanes. I quess it would not make much of a difference having different vanes on different arrows as long as they are placed correctly and identical.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should not make a diferance , if you want excelent flight with broadheads , and your going to change them all any way , try some 5 inch feathers with an offset . They work great on hunting arrows .
Old 12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Vanes are there for couple reasons.
One of them is drag and i believe a little vane does the smae trick as a big one.
Now, when we are going to talk about broadheads or other heavy pointweights, the more drag, the better.
So bigger vanes will give better flight.
But than we talk about BIGGER, not 1/8" .........
I think you can just glue them on......
Old 12-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well first off the Bohing vanes (especially the high profile versions) are noticeabley heavier than the AAEs. this may cause high and low shots... with broadheads especially.

Also the materials they are made of (polymer vs. rubber) are quite different and may very well react differently at the shot (especially if you have a contact issue since the AAE's tend to deflect less)

The Bohings due to their higher profile may CAUSE a contact problem at the rest or cables.

Nothing wrong with Bohning vanes but each and every arrow in your quiver should be as close to the same as possible if you want consistent accuracy.