Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
On an opinionative note??? >

On an opinionative note???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

On an opinionative note???

Old 02-05-2002, 09:28 AM

Default RE: On an opinionative note???

I know what you are talking about. I went into a local shop, this guy had all the goodies, large indoor shooting range the works and all he did was put dwn everything I wanted in a bow, and all he wanted to do is push his manuf (martin) I know they are good bows but the best.... he even put down arrows I was using (pse) said they would not group within 5 inches at 100yards (like I need them too...) I just walked out and told him that he lost all respect from me and I would never give him a red cent now matted how much he discounted items.. As I was walking out the door he tried to get me back in and apologize but I just got in my truck and drove away

evan
Old 02-05-2002, 11:49 AM

The girl's thing was a joke, as I know none of us will ever figure them out. But, as for archery, most people have this situation I was in pegged. I don't really give 2 hoots what anyone says about my riser, I know a dealer that ordered FX limbs for himself and still hasn't got them. I think Merlin's (Ben's) dealings with me from across the pond have been top notch. If my riser would have been anodized and ready to go, it would have taken 2-3 days to get here, I don't mind at all paying the extra $30 to get it here as fast as possible. Right now it's going to take 3 week's roughly, which still beat's alot of other companies for good service. Like you said, I will take no heed to what anyone say's about Merlin, and just let my shooting do the talking. Anyways I have to go to school.
Good shooting all.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is a twist for you Dylan
get the guy who bagged Merlin and have a shoot out with him
of course you will be using your new Merlin
Old 02-05-2002, 03:57 PM

Dylan, you just managed to run PSE down again!{}

One thing about dealing with people in the trade is that they presumably really know what people want. I guess people want a warranty, so this guy may have thought that was a really strong argument. For me that doesn't matter much at all. I have bought probably somewhere betwen 20 and 30 bows over the last 20 years, and almost none of them would have been supported by a warranty. I want to buy a product that doesn't need a warranty. And off the bat I can't think of any of those bows requiring service. Accessories are a totaly different matter, but I just throw that crap away. (By the way this comment isn't ment to support the idea there is anything wrong with Merlin service, that certainly isn't what we hear here, though getting any dealer support in Canada isn't going to be easy).

The distributor business in Canada (that is what Porcupine does as far as I know), while it has changed a lot over the years, was basicaly the business of getting a company, often US, to give you a territory, then marking the product up 30% over US retail to cover the cost of distribution etc... This is a very important service, but it has typicaly been a fairly complacent one. People like you and me who order for various reasons outside of that system, are a threat (if the practice catches on) to the distributors. So before you sway the whole Calgary archery comunity to follow you down this path, don't be surprised if these guys have an opinion or two on the subject also.

In the meantime, don't get too upset. I would like to know what kind of support the distributor is thinking of. I have never seen a PSE FITA bow in any of the local shops. I don't think they support that market very well, and that being the case why shouldn't we by-pass them?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:59 PM

I read on the forum one time that you need to find and shoot what is best for you.

We all have coments about what works well for us, thats why we post questions or opinions here. No offence to anyone, but salesmen will tell you what you want to here or what they want you to believe (in lots of cases they think they are experts). Anyone need an brain operation??
Old 02-05-2002, 07:56 PM

If I did run down PSE, my comments weren't ment to. That's sometimes the reason its hard to get your opinion across, because miscomunication is gonna start a war or words. Ossage, I like the way you put that, going outside the system. I took a very long educated look at hoyt, win&win, samick, and alot of other distributors. I chose merlin, because I am 5'9" with a small build, they had a light solid riser, a good warranty, and top notch service. All of these things swayed my decision. I beleive in British product quality as well. As long as I make educated decision's on what I want to shoot, it doesn't really matter what other people say about my archery equipment.
Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-05-2002, 10:39 PM

Over the years there have been all kind of reasons for going outside of the system. If you do FITA, most shops can't carry it, no market over here. The traditional thing got off to a slow start. I had to go outside of the country to get my first single cam, and liked the dealer enough I have been going back. Sometimes folks treat you like a pariah since you don't get all your stuff at their shop. Well I don't expect to be treated the same as a regular customer, but they still do better from me than they would someone whose hobby is bowling. And I can tell you one thing, none of these archery shop owners has ever brought business to me (no way they could) so they aren't putting bread on my table.