Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do you have to wear camo????? >

Do you have to wear camo?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you have to wear camo?????

Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Do you have to wear camo?????

Im new to bowhunting. Heck, I havent even got my hunting license and tags yet.[:' (] I just bought a bow about a month ago and getting pretty good with it. Now the question is, []CAMO IS EXPENSIVE!! .....do I have to wear it, am I wasting my time if I dont? I bought a wrap around face shield, and my required orange blaze, but can I just put on some jeans and a solid green flannel shirt? Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you have to wear camo?????

Hi Joe,
Not sure where your from but here in the midwest, you don' t have to have blaze orange to bow hunt, only when you hunt with a firearm. To answer your question, Nope, you don' t have to have camo either. However, it would benefit you to at least get some army surplus stuff. In the old days, guys like Fred Bear didn' t wear it. Just some wool pants and a flannel shirt. By the way, an old fashion flannel shirt with the checkered squares also helps break up your outline.

Hope this helps. And welcome to the Wild, Wild, World of Bowhunting.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the last post. At the very least try to find some clothes that match in color with the surroundings that you are going to be hunting in. Personally, I feel that both the color and the brightness level of the clothing both are basic contributors to effective concealment.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:26 AM

Camo is absolutely not necessary. In fact, I believe some camo may actually hurt your chances. I never had a stitch of camo my first 15 years of hunting and I was as successful then, as I am now. I believe covering your face is more important then wearing camo clothes. A cheap face mask/net or face paint would be a small investment that can really help.

I do recommend paying attention to color and pattern on your non-camo clothes, however the biggest advantage goes to the person who learns not to move, since it is movement that attracts their attention quickest.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:58 AM

If you bowhunt long enough you will find out you will want camo.Bowhunting has become my passion I take every advantage of technology I can afford to hunt my favorite prey the elusive Whitetail.Bowhunting from the trees is hard work,I spent countless hours in a tree stand waiting for a glimpse let alone a shot.I practice all summer. I freeze in a tree stand stand.I curse my self for a bad shot.But that first kill it is all rewarded.If you stay with it yeah youll want camo.Then scentblocker,then new bow.new site,new arrows ect.ect. hahaha
Good luck Joe
Old 11-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

For me it was like stick shooter said.
First i went hunting wearing jeans, than army dump clothes, than masks and things.
See what you can find on info about camo on the internet and soon the bug will bite you!
Its amazing what you can find out about it and for me it was a extension to the sport.
http://whitetail.com/camo1.html
I got my first camo trough cabelas' and it was not to expensive at all.
How much fun we (me and me buddy) had standing near hiking paths and in parks to see if the camo worked to people.
After i got a scent-loc suit we tried to be invisible for dogs and it worked!
Hunting was a succes to but i cannot really say it was because of the camo suit tho.
But a fact is, when hunting it feels sooooooooooo great to become 1 with nature and the camo is a big help in that feeling.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You couls always buy just one set of camo. Buy a 3D leafy suit, then it wouldn' t matter what you wear underneath.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 PM

buy the real large t shirts to ware over every thing else and bottle of scent shield.
T-shirt will cost 20 bucks max, and bargin bin pants 3sizes to big will be about 15 bucks, scent sheild to cover your street cloths smell or set some off to the side, and have them washed in the special hunting soap, hope this helps
Old 11-20-2003, 10:00 PM

Save your money and go shoot a deer.

Deer see Blue better than some other colors so try to avoid the jeans. Make some out of some old dress pants in brown or tan, rub some dirt on them in some areas just to break up the solid color. Still, quiet and scent free are all Way more important than camo clothes. I take my kids up in a stand with me without camo and we still see plenty of deer. The still and quiet part is self explanatory and up to you. Scent free is easy and cheap. Wash your hunting clothes using only some baking soda (no detergents with perfumes etc). Let them air dry hanging outside for a few days and they will smell like " nothing" I transport my hunting clothes in a plastic bag with some pine branches in it (if there are pines in the area you hunt). Also your boots,hat, gloves etc should be as scent free as the rest. You can buy the scent eliminating spray but baking soda mixed with water in a spray bottle works great. Leather boots tend to hold more scent, use rubber boots if possible.

Welcome to the addicts. You will be hooked for a lifetime of enjoyment, pass it on to your kids someday too!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:59 PM

There you have it scent over sight. I was starting to go crazy over my camo, I even started using a ghillie suit at one time but it had gotten in the way of a shot once and the weight of carrying it around got old quick. Deer see in black & white and theirs alot to look at in the woods. I had deer come in less then ten yards of me in regular street cloths ( jeans & T-shirt) and they did' nt have a clue what I was so I converted back to simpler is better. I do use a pair of camo coveralls but its mainly because its easier to keep them scent free (washed in baking soda), but clothes in natural colors and not all black, work just as good. I agree that covering your face is a good idea but most important keep your movements slow and steady not jerky and be as scent free as possible. Last but not least no matter how many precautions you use, as long as you hunt deer sooner or later one going to spot you first.

Quick Reply: Do you have to wear camo?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.