Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 reflex  caribou?????????? >

reflex caribou??????????

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

reflex caribou??????????

Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default reflex caribou??????????

i' m pretty much set on this bow....does anyone have any input info on this bow....i shoot fingers with one pin....and thinking of going with beman carbon hunter.....and bear razorhead lites at 110 grains, they been good to me in the past................thanks for all who replies.................bob
Old 11-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Spike

Default RE: reflex caribou??????????

I hunted with my Reflex Caribou the past two seasons and took 13 deer with it. I shot it it a flat cordovan leather tab and was welled pleased with my accurracy. The only thing I did not like about it was if I took a quartering away shot I did not always get pass-thrus. With a perfect broadside pass-thrus were not a problem. It is also very queit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shoot mine with 2413 arrows and 125 gr Muzzys. At 65 lbs and the 525 gr arrow it shot at 197fps which is 45 ft lbs KE. This year I am shooting a Hoyt Ultratec with a release. I have thought about raising the Caribou up to 70 lbs and using a lighter carbon arrow just to try something a little different with it. But the main thing for the AVERAGE guy shooting with fingers It would be hard to beat.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Bob!

My hunting partner uses a reflex caribou. He likes it a lot. One thing he told me that you might want to consider: He shoots a BIG arrow. I' m not sure of the size, but the dern things look like logs! When I asked him why he shot such big arrows he told me they help with accuracy. You may already know this but, the inherent inconsistency of finger-released shots, is somewhat offset by shooting heavier, stiffer arrows. Overall, it seems to be a well made bow. I personally don' t like the length on it axle to axle. It just makes it a little harder the manuever in a cramped tree stand. That' s gota be the only bad thing I can think about it though.

Good luck!

GH
Old 11-08-2003, 03:29 PM

It' s probably gonna be my next bow. I love the longer axle to axle bows and long brace height. Makes an exceptional finger bow. It reminds me alot of my old Ben Pearson 2300C bow. And, the Hoyt bow I used for indoor archery competition a few years ago before I got target panic.

I will probably shoot it with at 70 lbs with either 2514 or 2512 shafts with 100 grain thunderheads. I' ve shot enough 3-D that I' m confident in my ranging abilities and this set-up will give me plenty of speed, a quiet bow, and enough K.E. to drop any whitetail that shows up. I think this may help with my target panic too. Getting back to my roots, so to speak.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys....my bow i' m shooting now is a premiere patriot all wood laminated limbs also.....30" draw....65lb....65% letoff....xx75 2117....bear razorhead lites at 110 grains....flipper rest II and cushion pluger button....one pin set at 20 yds....fingers....and 215 fps....my old bow was a brown bear same setup on it also....the rest is the bear weather rest....210fps....here' s a deer i shot in 1983 in N.J. with the bear bow......................bob

Old 11-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

The riser on the Caribou is pretty much the old Hoyt Aspen riser. IMO, the Caribou is probably the best finger shooter' s compound on the market right now. I much prefer the grip on that bow to my ProTec, and the ProTec ain' t no slouch!

My only problem with the Caribou is it only goes to 31" draw and I draw 33.5" . But I' ve got a spare pair of #3 Accuwheels for my ProTec. Maybe I could rewire one to get my draw.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve been looking around for a bow to blow my refund check on this spring

The only qualm I have with the Caribou is the speed, it seems to me that if you spend $500+ you ought to get more than 254fps IBO. Though, the 9 inch brace height is very attractive.

That' s just me,

Urban_Redneck

Old 11-24-2003, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the bow, man! Deflex riser. 9" brace. 65% letoff energy wheels instead of cams. It is not designed to be a speed bow. It is long enough to be a fantastic fingers-shootin' bow. The deflex riser and 65% letoff will not torque. The wheels (instead of high energy cams) are smooth as silk and VERY easy on the shooter' s joints. It' s design is basically the same as one of Hoyt' s premier target bows from a few years ago. 254 IBO is outstanding speed for that kind of design.

Take a short bow with reflex riser, hard cams and low axle to axle. It will shoot faster, for darn sure. But, especially if it' s a high letoff, the handle can torque in your hand an unbelieveable amount. If you ever get a chance to handle a deflex riser/65% let-off bow, like the Caribou or ProTec, and ANY reflex riser/high let-off bow, you' ll see the difference immediately. Simply twist your wrist side to side with the bow at full draw and intentionally torque the handle. See which bow: 1) That you can whip the handle back and forth far enough to pull the string out of the tracks. -OR- 2) That will make you struggle and break out in a sweat to twist the riser at all.

After that experiment, consider which of those two bows you' d be less likely to ACCIDENTLY torque when shooting it.

You see all kinds of questions on the various forums dealing with bow torque. The pat answer is always some variation on the theme, " Your Form Sucks." And that is true enough, but not the whole truth. The more reflexed the handle and higher performance the bow is, the better your form has to be. On the other hand, I say they just bought the wrong bow.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob if you are set on this bow, then by all means go for it. It is a terrific bow. Since my shoulder has been giving me problems badly this past year due to tendonitis, I am considering this bow as well as the ProTech and Merlin (all eccentric wheels) for my next bow (as soon as I can afford another bow). I am currently still using my Parker 65%, one cam, for hunting, but have cut down on my practice considerable, which I don' t enjoy doing. I was using the 80% midule, but moved to the 65% for a bit smoother draw. I can even get the Merlin in a 50% let off.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I realize a hunting bow isn' t necessarily a " speed" bow, but the PSE Dakota looks like a good finger bowhttp://www.pse-archery.com/Catalog/Compound/Dakota_S8.htm and is rated 300fps+[]

As for the torque thing...I guess I don' t get much from my 50 1/2" TTT Oneida, ' cause I don' t follow what Arthur saying

Your mileage may vary,

UR

Quick Reply: reflex caribou??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.