Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads >

best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads

Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads

Does anyone have an opinion on the best combo of vane and fixed blade broadheads? I'm running some test on G5 striker fixed heads and a combination of Blazer, AAE Maxhunter and Quick spin ST speed hunters. I have 6 arrows with each of the 3 vanes fletched with 3 vanes and 4 vanes. I've shot a little bit and I'm impressed with the results of the 4 vane quick spins and blazers....suprised they aren't dropping blow those with 3 vanes. I'll post my results at some point but it's going to take some time....has to be extensive shooting for me to be convinced.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads

My opinion only:
I've tried almost all the vanes out there, and Blazers are the best for me.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

My non-technical expert opinion is this…..

The better your bow is tuned, less fletch needed
The smoother your release, less fletch needed.
The slower your bow, les fletch needed
The smaller and more aerodynamic the broadhead, …..you get the picture.

I’m no technical wizard but I had Thunderhead 125’s shooting perfect to 50-60 yds with only 3” regular vanetec vanes. Granted my bow was only going 265 fps.

I think the big place left where fletching becomes more & more critical is if you are shooting a BIG fixed blade head at higher speeds.

With almost any of the new small heads out there now, and a finely tuned setup, you can get away with almost any fletching combo out there and be fine in a hunting situation.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

I have shot them all Quick Spin, Duravanes and Blazers were the best I have shot.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

i personally have had the best luck with the blazers for fixed blade broadheads.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot full length arrows (32") and fexed blade heads, and blazers are the best I have found too, even better than a 4" helical. I've shot heads up to Muzzy Phantoms, which are about as big as they come, and they fly very well with the Blazers.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't totally satisfied with Blazers and I experimented with using four vanes also. They dropped no more than ones with three vanes but they flew better. I thought that they were noisier but I found a solution that worked great, I moved twoopposing vanes 1" forward on the arrow so that the vanes were staggered. Blazers are tall vanes and I was having some clearance issues, I've since switched to 3.125" QuickSpins and they work great with broadheads. You can get good deals on them on E-bay.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Ebay...good to know those quick spins are expensive. I'm about half way with my testing. I've done 4-2" blazers, 4 quick spin speed hunters and the 3-2" blazers at 25/35/45 yds with G5 striker 100 grain broadheads. What I have found so far is the 4-2" blazers are a bit tighter than the other two...I'll post the pictures when done but the most consistant thing I found is those G5 striker are awesome....If you haven't you need to pick up a 3 pack to see what I'm talking about....very nice.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

It's all about the drag......

More fletches means more drag. You can get similar results by increasing your offset or adding helical.

While you don't get much helical on a 2" blazer, it is enough to gain some extra stabilization without the weight or clearance issues of adding another fletch.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Have you tested the flex fletch fast vanes yet? Or the Flex fletch 360 vanes yet?

I put ona dozenFF fast vaneswith right helical and they are right there with the blazer 2" broadhead vanes in my humble opinion. I'd guess they might be quieter and definitely lighter so your FOC is a bit better.

Quick Reply: best vanes combo for fixed blade broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.