Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow presses...

Old 11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow presses...

Walks I think you better send me one of your presses to field test[]

[:-] <---- For Jeff
Old 11-06-2003, 11:03 PM

Will do!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My only question would be this. Does the strap ever get in the way when working on the string itself. Like when installing peep or something on those lines. Also, when you let up on the strap, how do you keep it from jumping when the tension comes off?

Just curious?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, when you let up on the strap, how do you keep it from jumping when the tension comes off?
IBM.

I could be wrong ( I have been once before) but it looks like a ratchet up, ratchet down strap.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:10 AM

The brackets are made out of 1 1/2X 1/4 inch steel with the legs of the brackets made from 1X 1/4 inch steel. Aussie is right!![8D] You ratchet the strap to pull the brackets inward and then you " de-ratchet" slowly, one or two clicks at a time. You can just push the handle of the ratchet back flat, but that would cause the ratchet to " free wheel" and you don' t want to do that to your bow do you???
Old 11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

My only question would be this. Does the strap ever get in the way when working on the string itself.
You guys forgot my first question. I have been looking for a convienent way to build one and this looks like it. But I still want to be able to work on it.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 03:19 PM

Looks Great!!! I see how it works now.Can the ratchet handle that much preasure???
Old 11-07-2003, 06:18 PM

The ratchet is rated at 1500 pounds and I once put a 300 pound scale between the one set of brackets and the ratchet strap and then pressed my Darton Maverick. The scale went up to 185 pounds so that means that there is less than 50 pounds on each individual bracket.
I' ve pressed bows to install a peep into the string with no problems getting to what I need to. I then take the bow from the press to serve the peep in. The best thing would be to have one of those plastic MTM archery work stations to hold your bow while you do the serving. I need to get one myself!!!! I' m sure there are bows out there with super high brace heights like BowTech' s TomKat with a 9 1/8 inch brace, but you can see from the pic that my 7 3/4 inch brace Pat Dually is easy enough to service. I could make the upper " torque arms" that the ratchet strap pulls on longer, but it would just be that much bigger and heavier. Right now they weigh about 12 1/2 pounds. It' d be cool to have the brackets made out of a fiberglass material like bow limbs, but I' m sure it would be expensive. Anyone out there want to fund my research??? LOL
Old 11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone out there want to fund my research??? LOL
No but I will still do an independant test of the bow press[:-][]

Just send it to:

Ausie-guy

Burleson TX
Old 11-07-2003, 10:42 PM

Well, whoever wants one is going to have to wait until I' m done hunting, after the 15th. I' m hunting very near my shop and I don' t want to make too much noise, I can be very noisy in my shop I watched a nice buck tonight {11/7} tend and mount a doe that had no intentions of leaving him
Grab your bows and hunting clothes
The rut is near to get your deer
Find THE spot and take the shot
Track your buck and post him here

Quick Reply: Bow presses...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.