Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Rest problem or porely tuned? >

Rest problem or porely tuned?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest problem or porely tuned?

Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Rest problem or porely tuned?

I have a 2011 mathews z7. I had a new string and cables put on and had a ripcord rest failure. Ripcord replaced the rest at no cost with a new ace. After shooting it a few times noticed ware on the fork. Had major fletching contact. Contacted ripcord and again they replaced at no cost for the max. After shooting 20 or so arrows the rest fork worked loose and broke. Again contacted ripcord and again they put a new rest on at no charge. This time I got the limb driven rest. After tuning and shooting with no fletching contact I was shooting one morning and snap the fork broke. Replaced the fork the weekend before opening of archery here in Montana . Was shooting a bit during the week to stay consistent and the fork just snapped again in the same spot as the others. I have had it to the pro shop a dozen times and they can't figure out what is causing the problems. Ripcord says it can't be the product and pro shop said not there tune. I'm beyond irritated and looking for any help I can get .Thanks for any input
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well after breaking several forks it may well be your set up. Personally I'm not a fan of the Ripcord rest. My favorite rest is the NAP Apache Micro rest. This thing is built like a tank and is a snap to install and fine tune. The price is also nice and doesn't break your wallet. It shouldn't be too hard to set up your bow yourself. I've done it so many times with different bows that I can get very close just "eyeballing" it. After installation I use the walk back method and group tune method (see the stickys above) and then fine tune with my BHs and FTs.
Some guys as well as some shops use paper tuning or laser tuning and call it good. To me the paper tuning holds no salt in my book. I can shoot bare shafts through paper and get a nice little hole. But then if I go to the either the walk back and/or group and BH tuning I just have to readjust my rest anyway. I won't waste my time paper tuning.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-01-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Spike

Thanks for the recommendations