Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
When to change broad head blades(foam target)? >

When to change broad head blades(foam target)?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When to change broad head blades(foam target)?

Old 12-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Spike

Default When to change broad head blades(foam target)?

I want to find out when to replace blades when shooting a foam target if at all. I have read arguments for shooting your hunting broad heads once to make sure they all fly true, that would boost confidence also, but others say don't and to use practice blades only. So is it better to have a set of practice blades that I shoot occasionally to make sure I am dead on then replace with factory blades and don't shoot those until its a target animal? Or shoot each hunting arrow once to make sure all fly true and then sharpen them up if needed? I have done some research and found some interesting info and tests done to measure sharpness before and after a target. I can post the test if you guys want. The one shot was negligible but there was a difference never the less. Just want to find out what you guys do with replaceable fixed blade broad heads. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Spike

I never use hunting blades on targets and haven’t for 30 years. I bought a spin tester for my hunting heads a long time ago and I check to make sure they spin perfectly, or make adjustments until they do. Those heads are used for hunting solely. Also, since I use replaceable blades I replace them after I shoot a deer. I never use them twice...despite buddies telling me they resharpen the blades they shoot through deer. I might be taking it too far but it’s worked for me so I stick to it.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YTCLT
I never use hunting blades on targets and haven’t for 30 years. I bought a spin tester for my hunting heads a long time ago and I check to make sure they spin perfectly, or make adjustments until they do. Those heads are used for hunting solely. Also, since I use replaceable blades I replace them after I shoot a deer. I never use them twice...despite buddies telling me they resharpen the blades they shoot through deer. I might be taking it too far but it’s worked for me so I stick to it.
agree w/ that... if I couldn't shave my face with the blade I would not use it on deer .. it'll make a LOT better and shorter blood trail .. I really appreciate a quick kill at last light in the evening..i'm sure you could tune every BH and it will fly consistent w/ others .. you probably already know , consistent grip is essential for BH flight .. hope all this helps ya

Last edited by davidg; 01-01-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice and hunt with the same broadhead bodies. As soon as I find a broadhead/arrow combo that flies true, I insert sharp, replacement blades and place those in my quiver for hunting. I keep hunting and practice combos separate.

Never tried practice blades. Never tried to sharpen a razor blade.

I agree with spinning all broadheads and inserts before shooting.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

I too only shoot new never used blades hunting. It is easy to take apart most broadheads and test them with old used blades. I have used practice blades and heads But as we all know hunting and practice are hard to compare shots unless you have no nervous system.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wild bill g
I too only shoot new never used blades hunting. It is easy to take apart most broadheads and test them with old used blades. I have used practice blades and heads But as we all know hunting and practice are hard to compare shots unless you have no nervous system.
ha ha .. yeah , just do it till it becomes muscle memory