Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Rest

Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default Bow Rest

Big hello to the forum members. I am a new member and I live in N.E.Texas. I have been using a 65 # Bear recurve, but I am loosing that stamina to keep holding that bow at full draw for long periods like 2 mins. Now I have decided to switch to a compound bow for hunting. I have acquired a Hoyt CRX32 and I would like to know if I can get a fall away rest that will work on this bow and what would be a good one to purchase. I am just using this bow to get familiar with a compound and will up grade at a later time. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan to shoot with a mechanical release, I don't see why not. Mechanical release shooters need vertical rest stability and finger shooters need horizontal. Not all drop away rests provide the horizontal pressure needed for fingers.

A lot shoot QAD brand rests. Quality Archery Design.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:12 AM
Spike

I personally am old school, i use fixed broadheads and capture rests such as the no longer made Octane hostage pro, however I know many who praise the QAD drop away rests.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Spike

I installed an Apache drop away and it will not work on a hoyt CRX32 the draw string will be in front of part of the bow and you will not be able to connect it to the bow string. Learning the hard way. There is suppose to be a drop away call red something and I am looking that up. Thank you for your input. I have a learning curve a head.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

NAP made a rop away that attached to the cable slidde of the bow and it worked great. I imagine the CRX has a cable slide. A great rest easy to set up is the whisker biiscut full containment and no moving parts.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you by chance get a left hand Apache? Not sure what you're talking about because the cord that raises the rest attaches to the downward moving cable. A pic would be nice.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a code red ripcord and I could really do without the cord all together. I flip my rest up with my thumb on every shot. I flip the rest, put the arrow in, and draw.

I wouldn't own one without the thumb flipper.

Last edited by rockport; 01-07-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
I shoot a code red ripcord and I could really do without the cord all together. I flip my rest up with my thumb on every shot. I flip the rest, put the arrow in, and draw.

I wouldn't own one without the thumb flipper.
Rock - On the Ripcord, doesn't the cord act as a "trigger" to allow the rest to drop when the arrow is released? When I had one you could hear a slight audible click when you reached full draw? I know some shooters like the idea of having the arrow shaft in launch position prior to drawing the bow. But in reality it doesn't matter as long as it is in that position when you release.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Tex1951
I installed an Apache drop away and it will not work on a hoyt CRX32 the draw string will be in front of part of the bow and you will not be able to connect it to the bow string. Learning the hard way. There is suppose to be a drop away call red something and I am looking that up. Thank you for your input. I have a learning curve a head.
There is a common mistake in archery (so common in fact that it has become the norm) when describing a bow. In traditional terms there is no "front" of a bow. The back of the bow (that portion that faces away from you) is commonly now referred to as the front. The portion of the bow that faces you is called the belly which today most call the back.
The way you're describing this you would have had to buy a left hand rest if the cord is on the side of the bow facing away from you. And you don't connect the cord to the bow string. You attach it to the downward moving cable. Attached is a pic of a right hand rest how it attaches to the bow.
Attached Thumbnails Bow Rest-apache-rh.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-20-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Rock - On the Ripcord, doesn't the cord act as a "trigger" to allow the rest to drop when the arrow is released? When I had one you could hear a slight audible click when you reached full draw? I know some shooters like the idea of having the arrow shaft in launch position prior to drawing the bow. But in reality it doesn't matter as long as it is in that position when you release.
I don't really know to be honest because Ive always had the cord on there even though I flip it manually. I believe the cord just pulls the rest up and prevents it from dropping before you release. I couldn't tell you for sure if the cord is necessary for the rest to drop but I don't think so.

I would probably recommend installing as designed. I just don't ever use the cord to raise my rest. I'd rather just flip it up with my thumb and draw with full arrow retention.

Last edited by rockport; 01-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.