Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need Help with Youth Arrow Selection >

Need Help with Youth Arrow Selection

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need Help with Youth Arrow Selection

Old 12-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need Help with Youth Arrow Selection

Okay, so i bought my 10 year old son a Bear Apprentice 3 that he will be getting on Christmas morning. I know he will be bummed if he isn't able to fling some arrows right away so i have been doing some secret investigating to determine his draw length and what he's capable of pulling back. As of now i have set his bow at 32lbs with a draw length of 22" and an arrow length of 23".

I used to be on these boards religiously and my archery knowledge was pretty good. However these days not so much. So i need some help on setting up the correct arrow for his new bow. From the leftover knowledge still rattling around in my head i want his completed arrow to be around 8g per inch which would end up at 184g based on a 23" arrow. Okay so where i get confused is after i add up the weight of the rear nock and fletching 35-40g, field tip/broadhead 85g, and the insert 20g. When you add up those you get roughly 145g. To end up around 184g with a finished arrow i would need a shaft that weighs 1.69g per inch which obviously doesn't exist.

What am i missing?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dstubb
Okay, so i bought my 10 year old son a Bear Apprentice 3 that he will be getting on Christmas morning. I know he will be bummed if he isn't able to fling some arrows right away so i have been doing some secret investigating to determine his draw length and what he's capable of pulling back. As of now i have set his bow at 32lbs with a draw length of 22" and an arrow length of 23".

I used to be on these boards religiously and my archery knowledge was pretty good. However these days not so much. So i need some help on setting up the correct arrow for his new bow. From the leftover knowledge still rattling around in my head i want his completed arrow to be around 8g per inch which would end up at 184g based on a 23" arrow. Okay so where i get confused is after i add up the weight of the rear nock and fletching 35-40g, field tip/broadhead 85g, and the insert 20g. When you add up those you get roughly 145g. To end up around 184g with a finished arrow i would need a shaft that weighs 1.69g per inch which obviously doesn't exist.

What am i missing?
Not gonna directly answer you question with this. But, why worry about grains per inch in a youth setup?

I would fletch a few full length arrows with a spine suited to the setup (maybe a bit over-spined) and let the kid shoot on Christmas Day. Then have a father/son session cutting to length and fletching all arrows. Remember to spine based on the estimated length after cutting.

If worried about weight, get carbon arrows instead of composite (carbon around aluminum). They will be more forgiving anyway (bend wise).