Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tune???

Old 08-23-2017, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive just not had to really mess with much tuning for quite a few years now. I don't know if maybe ive just gotten better at getting it right or just maybe lucky. I started shooting off set broadheads years ago and you can pretty much bet out to 40 yards if I follow a field point with a broadhead I'm losing at least a fletch.

I used to fight with tuning a lot but I was always doing more adjusting after paper tuning so I just quit bothering with it and squared things up, bare shaft tuned and have been good to go.

It seems to me I'd have to be way off from the start to require starting with paper tuning but there was a time when that is what I did.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah - it should be really easy - if the bow is in tune, then when you square everything, it'll all be in tune. It's when you get a bow set up out of the box by some 18yr old, summer job, minimum wage lackey who went through an hour long bow tech orientation at the big box store and your cams are out of tune from the jump, then paper tuning will reveal the problem before you start down the path. If the cables are balanced when you take delivery of the bow, then everything will fall into place with a tape measure and 90degree square, if not, then it really helps to own a press and know how to use paper tuning to balance their cables.

None of it takes very long, and all of it involves touching and shooting the bow, so it's never bothered me. I don't work at a shop any more (other than filling in here and there), but I still have guys bring their bow to me for work, or to set up new bows when they buy. I paper tune in my basement "office," same place I work most days, so taking a few shots doesn't bother me much.

Honestly, I don't like to move my rest out of centershot - I do as much adjusting as I can with my cables, then only tweak my rest as my last little bit of fine tuning.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Yeah - it should be really easy - if the bow is in tune, then when you square everything, it'll all be in tune. It's when you get a bow set up out of the box by some 18yr old, summer job, minimum wage lackey who went through an hour long bow tech orientation at the big box store and your cams are out of tune from the jump, then paper tuning will reveal the problem before you start down the path. If the cables are balanced when you take delivery of the bow, then everything will fall into place with a tape measure and 90degree square, if not, then it really helps to own a press and know how to use paper tuning to balance their cables.

None of it takes very long, and all of it involves touching and shooting the bow, so it's never bothered me. I don't work at a shop any more (other than filling in here and there), but I still have guys bring their bow to me for work, or to set up new bows when they buy. I paper tune in my basement "office," same place I work most days, so taking a few shots doesn't bother me much.

Honestly, I don't like to move my rest out of centershot - I do as much adjusting as I can with my cables, then only tweak my rest as my last little bit of fine tuning.
Oh I gave up on bow shops years ago. We had a new one open up locally a few years ago so I gave it a shot and tried having them do some things I would normally do myself because I wanted them to make it but a few rounds of them charging me for work I had to show them how to do was enough for me.

We have a couple of shops with owners that are great and have probably forgot more than I'll ever know about bows. They built the business but unfortunately they don't do the work anymore. What little I do know is a damn sight more than these kids working these bow shops around here. It usually doesn't take much conversing with them to figure out I'd be better off taking my bow home and figuring it out myself.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty hard to get a shop to hand you a bow in a box though. I know more are getting shipped strung now than in the past, so that changes things, but traditionally, the dude at the shop is who sets your cams, which isn't always a good thing (rarely is).
Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot prime and I believe they are strung and cycled 100 times at the factory and shipped ready to go.

Even if I have problems I find I'm better off to just educate my self on fixing them. Back when I went to bow shops I usually had to do that anyway so I just eliminated the paying for nothing part.

Last edited by rockport; 08-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.