Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 cutting off carbons >

cutting off carbons

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cutting off carbons

Old 10-29-2003, 11:29 AM

Default cutting off carbons

what do you use to cut off carbons at home? pro shop here is expensive on arrows and charges .50 cents to cut off if you buy arrows else where.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:58 PM

Default RE: cutting off carbons

You are supposed to use a high speed cut-off saw. they sell them on Cabelas.com and places like that. However they are a little expenceive at about $100 and up. I have a hand saw that I have used with alluminum but the don' t recommed it for carbon because it could cause the shaft to splinter or crack, never tried it.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got some used shafts that were a bit too long for me so I cut them. I used my band saw with a fine toothed metal blade. It worked well. I didn' t have any problems with cracking or splintering. I still use those arrows for target practice.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:36 AM

Use a Dremel tool with the cut-off wheel. Put a piece of masking tape around the arrow where you want to cut it, and mark it all the way around. First cut through the arrow 1/4" from where the final cut will be- this will allow for a perfectly straight cut. Then just make your final cut as perpendicular to the arrow as possible. It takes maybe 10 seconds per arrow. The only thing to be concerned about is to not let the arrow heat up. With the wheel on the highest speed, this shouldn' t be an issue- I' ve cut a whole pile of arrows (and fishing rods) this way.

Mike

WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have a way to do it whenever i dont want or can not go to the shop.
I tape the spot where i want to cut them with a piece of this papertape you use for painting.
I mark the place with a edding marker and put the arrow in a electric drill.
I take a very sharp knife and let the arrow spin as fast as possible over the knife, making a strait cut.
Yes, i burned my fingers more than once doing this, but the effect is good.
The carbon never splitted on the cut.
I did it with alu to, using a sawblade.....
It works...
A high speed sawing blade is better tho...
Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 AM

If you get the diamond cut-off wheel, you can cut the arrow in one pass. If you use the smaller wheels that come with the Dremel, it' s easier to rotate the arrow a few times as you cut. Either way it only takes a few seconds.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:47 AM

Don' t mount a regular cut-off saw blade to a Dremel. The tool doesn' t have enough torque to get it moving fast enough for a clean cut, and the hole in the center is too big to get it properly mounted. Any decent hardware store, WalMart, Home Depot, or other store that sells Dremels should have a diamond cut-off wheel that is perfect. You can probably cut 10 dozen arrows with one $6 wheel and after that you could still cut the blades off all your Ginzu knives.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:34 PM

The wrapped carbon arrows can be cut with a tubing cutter same as you would aluminium arrows, just make sure that the shaft is being supported by an insert when you make the cut. Good luck hunting!

Quick Reply: cutting off carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.