Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting @ the duck!!! >

shooting @ the duck!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting @ the duck!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:31 AM

Default shooting @ the duck!!!

had a doe duck my arrow lastnight! my bow is quiet as a mouse but you can hear my broadheads in flight they are slicktricks 100s. it was real still in the woods last night. what should i have done different?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:54 AM

Default RE: shooting @ the duck!!!

POOREBOY:

On most occassions deer do not knowingly " duck" an arrow. Most deer will drop... sometimes considerably, as they bolt. If your arrow was flying high to the " zone," you can easily miss.

If your broadheads are consistently and obviously noisy, you have no choice but to change. However, although some " vented" blades can be notorious for noise, are you sure it is the heads that you hear and not the fletch or bad arrow flight?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was the deer calm and relaxed or alert and nervous?

That can make a big difference.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:06 AM

the arrows have a slight left heilical but with my field points there no noise to notice. i shoot arrow dynamics stingers with 4" vains.
i have shot 3 this year with the same broad head. it must have been too quiet in the woods.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:12 AM

When it is dead quiet, the smallest sound can sound like a cannon shot. No matter what noise suppressors we add to our bows, I doubt that " whisper quiet" will ever be obtained.

PS: Forgot to add: What your fieldpoint mounted shafts do or not do, is not always and exactly what your broadhead mounted shafts will do or not do.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:13 AM

yea, range the deer was calm she was only looking for the can that i called to he with.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have found that when I call does in, and they are actively looking for the source of the call, they are anything but calm. They are usually very cautious at this point, and generally pretty spooky. If given the opportunity, they will normally calm down within a few minutes and start feeding. This is when I normally try to make my shot.

Bucks on the other hand, normally don' t afford the luxury of time. If they don' t see the deer that made the call, they keep moving and looking. Take the shot when you get it.

Deer can do some pretty impressive things when it comes to jumping the string. A buddy of mine just got back from a hunt in Texas. He took a shot at a 150 class buck from 23 yards. The deer was calm and feeding. At the shot, he said the buck literally hit the dirt. It' s belly came into full contact with the ground and the arrow passed over it' s back. That would have been impressive to see on video.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]