Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to hide human scent while hunt >

How to hide human scent while hunt

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to hide human scent while hunt

Old 11-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by robinhood333
did you truly roll and pig poop?
doesn't everybody?lol
Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

I am totally convinced breath is the key to scent control---yes cleaning clothes etc is wonderful and necessary--But in the north country when it is cold look at your breath as it leaves your body, see actually how much is constantly being exhaled, I now constantly chew on small pine branches, white pine is best, has been a real plus for me over the past 6 or 7 years ! H H
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm of the class that believes it's impossible to completely, totally, 100% eliminate ALL scent. A buddy bought a bunch of the scent-loc stuff & was clad head to toe with it. The previous night we had a big cast iron tub of chili, and that next morning on the way to drop people off close to their stands, my buddy with the scent loc outfit had gas-REAL BAD. All I know is the scent loc clothing never even cut back or slowed down the odor! There are ways to minimize it however. To begin with, I don't don my actual hunting clothes until I get plumb off or away from the truck or 4 wheeler, then open the garbage bag with various cover scents I collect such as some fresh soil, some pine or cedar branch shavings, regular doe pee (fresh as possible and NOT in heat), a apple sliced real thin, and anything else I can think of, then put clothes in on top of it including the boots I'll have on. I'll take a full body/hair bath in water containing nothing other than a couple cups of apple cider vinegar. The vinegar smell fades plumb away to nothing in about 20 minutes but keeps bacteria from living on you making sweat stink for HOURS. I still use the wind to my advantage regardless of all other conditions. I DON'T use permanent stands for that reason, and the fact the deer learn them & can tell if somebody is in them & shy away from that area. It's my firm opinion that when trying to eliminate/cover every single bit of scent possible, it reduces the amount or how strong the scent is, making the deer think the hunter is quite a bit further away than they actually are, thus not getting plumb alarmed. I remember 1 morning I walked a buddy to his stand, showing him where it was, then went on towards my stand wearing my homemade gillie suit and all the cover/elimination scent methods I outlined above, but also the farmer's cattle were out when we got there so we had cow poo/pee on our boots from getting them in for him, so it must have helped a lot as after I dropped him off I still heard somebody walking behind me. I played along with it quite a distance, steadily getting more pissed that he didn't stay at the place I told him to with 3 major trails converging right there, and even the nerve to follow me & screw my hunting too! I finally turned around and there was a decent 6 point I had been turning down about 8-10' behind me. My buddy had witnessed the whole thing, the buck would have his nose to the ground, looking up at me & curling his upper lip up, then repeating the steps, gradually getting closer to me the whole time. That just goes to prove you CAN fool them, but there are no shortcuts to doing it right!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

a lot of people say it is impossible why some say it is. please i will appreciate your comment of your personal experiences, is it really possible? if so then how can one hide his scent while hunting?
You can only do your best diligence staying clean trying not to sweat, washing your hands after eating and not touching your gear and so on. I know it works because when I was a lot younger and hunted in western new york I have had deer bed down 10 yards away from me wind blowing from me right to them I also had a doe just about walk between my legs while sitting up against a tree yes it scared me a bit.I also stalked a sleeping buck killing him from 5 yards basically on top of him and at the time I did not own any scent lok clothing. I think it's all due to your diligence on keeping everything super clean and spraying down with scent killer is a huge benefit.I would add that you shouldn't think about hiding odor but eliminating it!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent reduction is real.......cover scent is nonsense IMO

Even if cover scent worked the woods provide it for free....its all around no need to carry it in.

Imagine a world where the presence of dirt prevented deer from smelling people

Last edited by rockport; 11-29-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kidoggy
doesn't everybody?lol
No, just you.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Scent reduction is real.......cover scent is nonsense IMO

Even if cover scent worked the woods provide it for free....its all around no need to carry it in.

Imagine a world where the presence of dirt prevented deer from smelling people
do you mind to elaborate on that a little?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
I am totally convinced breath is the key to scent control---yes cleaning clothes etc is wonderful and necessary--But in the north country when it is cold look at your breath as it leaves your body, see actually how much is constantly being exhaled, I now constantly chew on small pine branches, white pine is best, has been a real plus for me over the past 6 or 7 years ! H H
you eat the bush? i am sure gonna try this.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you learn how to live and not breath, you will never be scent free.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 AM
Banned

No, just you.
lol.no, I wouldn't do it. but I actually do know folks that rub deer and elk feces on their cloths. they swear it helps and it probably does but I would rather go home empty handed.
besides that I just work the wind and don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.all the scent reduction in the world can be undone by one good fart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.