Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Confused?

Old 10-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Confused?

Well I called bowtech to talk to them about bows. I was concerned about the short ata on the blackhawk. The guy said that it would be just as easy to shoot. Then I called mathews and asked them about their bows. The guys says I would probably like the Q2 better than the SQ2 because he says people tend to shoot this short of a bow (31" ) worse than a longer bow. So which is which? If it matters I am about 5' 7" and I shoot a 28 inch draw. Thanks-Sam
Old 10-24-2003, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Confused?

Nuge,

I think you will find that the longer the limbs on the bow the more forgiving the bow will be. I can' t comment on the Mathews because I have not been talked into refinancing my house to purchase one of those dang things. I shoot a Golden Eagle which admittedly is a mid range bow but it kills just as fast as a Mathews. I understand that their limbs are much more horizontal instead of vertical and that makes a difference. Good or bad I wouldn' t speculate. As for me I have found the longer axis bows will be a lot easier to shoot though. Just my .02 cents
Old 10-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

nuge, short ATA bows are as easy to shoot, with good form. The longer bows are more forgiving, to a point. It' s the overall design of the bow that really determines shootability. A Blackhawk with 8" brace may be more forgiving than say a Black Max with 5" brace, though the BM is longer ATA. The shorter bows are easier to cant due to the ATA length. It may take a little more time & concentration to learn to shoot well with a short bow but, once mastered they can be as effective as longer bows.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:05 AM

Application must be thought of when choosing a bow Pure bet winning accuracy, go to a longer ATA bow with a deflex riser and forget how slow it shoots. Stomping whitetails from a tree stand at 6 to 16 yards, short is great!! Try an example of each and form your own opinion. I shot my 33 inch ATA Proline Sniper very well out to yardages I' d never shoot at a live animal and I have a 29 1/2 inch draw. Good luck shopping
Old 10-25-2003, 07:49 PM

What Phil said
Old 10-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

All else being equal, yep shorties will be a bit harder to shoot consistently. But it really depends on form, and getting used to them. I find the short bows that offer a very long riser and VFT type technology shoot as well as most longer models for me. The short bows built on short riser however can give me fits personally.

My Patriot SC is 33.75" and is quite accurate and forgiving due to it' s very long riser.