Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
First time target practice shooting >

First time target practice shooting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First time target practice shooting

Old 08-26-2016, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for your supportive post and good advice SH-54. To the original poster all the information about getting some help first hand is good advice and your shooting experience will be much better more quickly with some help. It sounds like your husband has adequate knowledge to help you since he was able to do some technical work on your new bow. The more you shoot with the right form the stronger you will get and if your bow is set up right the accuracy should come. A hand release will certainly help out with any bow and as SH said some shorter bows actually need that to eliminate finger pinch. Target archery is a lot of fun and safety first should be followed. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do don't twist that string with your fingers. The string will come off the track and all hell will break lose.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! I didn't do anything I didn't feel comfortable with, my husband and buddy know what they're doing till I get a shop to take a look for me too. I've learned enough through the last year to be able to have shot yesterday.i don't plan on shooting anymore until I get to a shop to get arrows for myself. Thanks for understanding I'm just wanting to learn and was looking for tips to the ones who were nice and knowledgable. I understand the two rude guys completely but you need to come across a different way, people just want to learn and that takes practice, you shouldn't be so rude its discouraging to new hunters.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Oldtimr and Topgun3006 are both on 2-month timeouts as a result of the rules violations in this topic. If anybody else feels like piling onto a new member and joining them in their timeouts, please feel free to post right below this post.

For the OP, most of the members in the forum try to be helpful and are not condescending, insulting and rude. Stick around and feel free to invite your hubby and his friend as well.

I'm not an archery guy so can't offer you advice. IMHO, the single most knowledgeable archery guy on this website is LBR. He doesn't post a lot anymore but his advice would be spot on and quite useful. He has competed in archery, teaches it, works for a major bow string manufacturer and is one of those encyclopedia type guys that has likely forgotten more than most guys will ever learn. High praise but he really is that knowledgeable.

CalHunter

Edit--SuperHunt54 is also extremely knowledgeable about archery. My apologies for leaving him out of the above compliment.

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Oldtimr and Topgun3006 are both on 2-month timeouts as a result of the rules violations in this topic. If anybody else feels like piling onto a new member and joining them in their timeouts, please feel free to post right below this post.

For the OP, most of the members in the forum try to be helpful and are not condescending, insulting and rude. Stick around and feel free to invite your hubby and his friend as well.

I'm not an archery guy so can't offer you advice. IMHO, the single most knowledgeable archery guy on this website is LBR. He doesn't post a lot anymore but his advice would be spot on and quite useful. He has competed in archery, teaches it, works for a major bow string manufacturer and is one of those encyclopedia type guys that has likely forgotten more than most guys will ever learn. High praise but he really is that knowledgeable.

CalHunter

Edit--SuperHunt54 is also extremely knowledgeable about archery. My apologies for leaving him out of the above compliment.
Thank you! I will keep him in mind next time I want to know some things. I dont plan on leaving this site I like it other then these two who were posting rudly. I understand what they were saying though. Just did sort of discouraged me. Next time I post I'll be sure not to leave the tiniest of details out in my post next time.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by FirefightersWife
Thank you! I will keep him in mind next time I want to know some things. I dont plan on leaving this site I like it other then these two who were posting rudly. I understand what they were saying though. Just did sort of discouraged me. Next time I post I'll be sure not to leave the tiniest of details out in my post next time.
You did nothing wrong and asking a question is how we all learn. Hopefully some of our more seasoned members will have a bit more patience with newer hunters and members to the site. Welcome to HNI and sorry for that small bump in the road.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Spike

Thank you to the ones who did help, I appreciate it.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by FirefightersWife
Thank you to the ones who did help, I appreciate it.
Welcome to archery and to HNI. I'm not the expert here, but CI and SH gave good advice.

I would suggest a couple of things based on my experience learning. First of all, if you are going to use a release, you should start practicing with a release.

Second, you should have one of those guys watch you at the beginning until you have developed the proper form. It's easier to learn the proper form from the beginning than to correct bad form later.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Great advice and to FFW..Sachiko is female and much smaller than you are and she shoots guns and bows. Nice to have another lady on the forums..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.