Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Still looking for bows. >

Still looking for bows.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Still looking for bows.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Still looking for bows.

I am still deciding on what bow I want to buy this spring. I know I still have a lot of time but I pretty much limited it to Mathews and Renegades. Obviously I will go and shoot these and see which ones I like better, but I still have a few questions regarding specifications of bows. For the Mathews I' m looking at the FX, Q2, and SQ2. The Q2 and the FX are the same size in both brace height and ata. The Q2 is a bit heavier and only availible in 70percent letoff (thats what I get from the site it has** behind the 70) and the FX can be 80percent. I thinkg the Q2 are running 600 or 700 and the FX is like 450. What difference can I expect that would make me want to pay that much more money? Also How much are the SQ2s running? Would this short of a bow be harder to shoot if so why? I know some people say you tend to cant or lean them more when shooting but would that greatly effect accuarcy and is it pretty easy to keep straight up and down? So I guess I' m leaning toward the FX but if the SQ2 was easy to shoot I would probably spend the extra$ because its short and has a good brace height. Also I would consider the Q2 if it is more smooth and quiet then the FX and easier to shoot then the SQ2. Are all of these modles just as accurate?

I am also going to try and shoot the Renegade bows because I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am looking at the Kombow which is 36ata and 8 3/4 brace height and it is 450. And there is the Alpha which is 31 ata and 8 breace height. I think this is 550. There is one more that is a little shorter than the Kombow and has a 7 1/2 brace height. All have respectable speeds and 65 or 80 percent letoff.

I' m mostly looking for info on the mathews because I have realized not many people know about renegades on this board. I am shooting a 28 inch draw at about 65 lbs if that helps.

Thanks-Sam
Old 10-22-2003, 06:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still looking for bows.

nuge, if you haven' t, check out the 2004 BowTech threads. Many new bows right in line with what you' re looking for.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

When talking accuracy, there isn' t any reason to buy more than any company' s basic bargain bow. They will all shoot accurately. You wouldn' t want a bottom end bow to go shoot Vegas to be sure, but for hunting and recreational shooting, they' re just fine. Most are nearly as smooth and quiet as the higher end bows, but they don' t have much ' gee whiz' factor working in their favor. I mean, which would you rather brag about having... an FX or a Legacy?

As far as the Q2 being smoother and quieter enough to be worth that much more than the FX, that is totally a subjective call. The only one that can make that decision is you.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

pdq how much are they running?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I had an fx and a Q2 and the fx would do everything the Q2 would. In fact I shot my first ever robinhood with the fx, so I really love it. If you are looking for a bow that will be similar in feel and price as the fx, but give you an extra 10-15 fps, try Bowtech' s BlackHawk. It' s one of the industry' s best kept secrets.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will I notice any difference in performance between 65and 80 percent let off? Besides the fact that you cant enter a P&Y buck with 80 are there any other disadvanteges?

Anybody know anything about the bowtech Stalker? I was looking at the blackhawk but I' m not sure I want that short of a ata? Won' t it be harder to shoot, or will I get used to it.I don' t shoot a with a string loop will I have to with this sharp of and angle? Do you still put limbsavers on the bowtechs even though they have those other things. Also do those string silencers break of like the sims ones?
Old 10-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me, my 65% module holds much more steady and the release feels smoother. The valley is shorter though, you have to make sure and maintain back tension or you' re in for a suprise. For me that' s a good thing as good back tension makes me shoot more accurately, especially if I combine it with at least 1 second of follow through...
Old 10-22-2003, 04:58 PM

Nuge, do as the others said....dont overlook some brands. My heart was set on a mathews, but like Navy said, it just wasnt for me. Try them all. IMO dont overthink this...brace height and ata numbers are a good guideline, but dont let numbers decide. Go with the one that fits you best. As far as the letoff, I have mine at 65....much smoother.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I think I' ll try the bowtechs as well. I want to buy a top of the line bows and I' m not interested in Hoyts. I was looking at the Bowtech blackhawk but I think that that is too short for me. I' m not sure I want that sharp of an angle at the nocking point or that small of a bow which would be easy to cant. Anybody know about the stalkers?

Quick Reply: Still looking for bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.