HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   sighting in your bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/40413-sighting-your-bow.html)

jetmac 10-18-2003 05:55 PM

sighting in your bow

How much do I need to move my sight pins during and adjustment. Also do each pins mark a distance for shooting.[:-]

Dalejbrass 10-18-2003 06:27 PM

RE: sighting in your bow

Jet,

Not sure what you mean??

If your bow and equipment is tuned, straight and in good working order, you shouldn' t need to adjust your sights for broadheads (if that is what you meant).

Yes your pins mark yardage. Typically, most bowhunters use the top pin for 20 yards, second for 30, so on and so on.

shinobi 10-18-2003 07:14 PM

No Sight Elevation

I have sighting problem of my own. I' m using a 5 pin trophy ridge flatliner and a c-peep. I' m shooting @ 257fps and I can' t get enough elevation to shoot past 30 yds. Even at 30 I' m about 4-6" low. My flatliner is so low trying to get my elevation that my vanes are only clearing the fiber optic lines by 1/2" .

2002 Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam 27 1/4" draw@65lbs.
Trophy Ridge Flatliner 5 pin, C-Peep
CE 200 3D select 27 3/4" @359 grns with 100 grn. heads

I' ve tried everything I can think of. I' ve sited for 10, 20, and (tried) for 30, and 40. My bow is accurate, (almost scarily so!) I just want the yardage!

Grant-KS 10-18-2003 07:41 PM

Where is your anchor at shinobi?

pdq 5oh 10-18-2003 07:41 PM

shinobi, not knowing where your setup this may not be possible but, you could try lowering your nock point or raising your rest. You can set the rest to hold the arrow even with the rest mounting holes.

shinobi 10-19-2003 07:12 PM

Well my anchor is with the knuckle of my thumb to my jawbone, right behind the ear. I don' t know about raising my rest, as I' m not sure where you' re going with this. It may be that my peep is too low but, I have a hard time seeing if I raise it ,say 1/4" . The reason I' m frustrated is MY PSE Nova V4 only has a 3 pin sight on it and shoots 25 fps slower (heavier arrows) and Ihave no problem with a 30 yd. pin.

Grant-KS 10-19-2003 07:20 PM

Sounds to me like way too long draw length for starters, but I think that if you would shorten your DL a bit and anchor with index/thumb web on the corner of your jaw bone, that' ll bring your anchor down a bit and get things right. Maybe you could post a detailed pic of your bow when the rest is up and everything so we can see if there' s any glaring problems in arrow alignment.

Derag2 10-19-2003 07:54 PM

My draw length must be WAY off them cause my achor point is my thumb on the back of my neck, and i can feel the noch on the corner of my mouth............ I shoulld real good with it that way???????????? I dunno it works for me.

Deleted User 10-20-2003 12:54 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Roland from Calif. 10-20-2003 03:09 PM

Shinobi,
measure the peep on your PSE and your Hoyt. Everyone is different but a pretty good standard for correct peep sight distance is between 5" and 5.25" from your nocking point. Lower than that and you have the problem you described and higher is of course the reverse.