HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   OOPS! I now have 5 ACCs... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/40291-oops-i-now-have-5-accs.html)

Rangeball 10-17-2003 11:20 AM

OOPS! I now have 5 ACCs...

I shoot daily in an empty building next to our office. From front the back I can get about a 30 yard shot. I shoot into a bag target in the back of the building, sitting on a pile of lumber. I have to shoot through a doorway, which is no problem.

I decided today to play around with my trigger tension a bit. I set it lighter, tested it on the bowstring, it felt good, so I pulled back, paying attention to make sure the arrow was as pointed towards the bag as possible, anchored, and let fly. I hit the target, so I decided to shoot another shot, Inspired by the fact that the trigger wasn' t too light. Right.

As I pulled back and started to anchor, the release went off all on it' s own, freaking the stuff out of me. I heard a loud whack, and saw an orange object flying through the air. Pulling my best CSI impression, I found that the arrow had just nicked the door jamb, sending the orange G nock flying, hit and broke the door trim of another door parallel to the target and lodged in the wood panelled back wall of the building with about 1/3 of the shaft sticking in the wall. I started to pull the shaft out, and smiled as it looked to be pretty straight. I soon hit resistance, and had to pull the tip back through the hole. Unfortunately, the tip of the arrow had slammed to a screaching halt in the concrete block outer wall of the building, shoving the tip and insert back into the shaft by a good inch or so, splintering the shaft in the process.

So, chalk one up to experience. Heavy trigger is good. Light is bad. Concrete beats ACCs. No one was harmed in the performance of this idiotic experiment, which will go down in flames as the " $12 shot" .

Bill L 10-17-2003 03:32 PM

RE: OOPS! I now have 5 ACCs...

Too funny Rangeball. I had a similar experience when I first went to a D loop. My trusty, 11 year old, slightly worn Scott caliper release was just fine shooting off the string. However, without the extra diameter of the serving, the rope loop was a tad narrow. The first misfire stuck neatly into the apple in the Hoyt banner above the targets at the indoor range. Luckily, it was into wood, and I was able to retrieve all but the field tip. ICS still in good shape. I had no clue at the time what was happening. I could have sworn I drew with my index finger behind the trigger as I always do. I shot 5 or six more normal shots, then the next one found a home about 3 inches left of the first misfire. Guess my draw path was fairly consistant. After the second incident, I went into the shop to investigate and found the jaws of the old Scott to be worn just enough to leave a small gap. If the D loop lined up just right, and the planets were in proper position, the D loop would slip through the still closed jaws of the release. 2 autographed one dollar bills on the wall, and 58 dollars later, the problem was resolved with a new Scott Mongoose. Nothing worse than being that surprised by the release of an arrow.

Trushot_archer 10-18-2003 02:49 PM

I launched my handheld bow scale through the plaster in my " Man' s World" room upstairs this spring.

Sweaty hands bad:(

Didn' t hurt the bow at all...I thought a freakin' grenade went off though it was so loud! One little scratch on the riser throught he felt tape and slightly soiled boxers was all I got from it.

The bow scale survived as well...maybe I' ll hunt with it:D

Well....now you don' t feel quiet as silly huh Range?;)

BGfisher 10-18-2003 09:46 PM

LOL!!!!! I trashed my share over the years. Fun, ain' t it?? That' s how all us dumbies get the experience so we can help the less experienced and answer questions on these threads.

Grant-KS 10-18-2003 09:58 PM

Yeah, I used to shoot some in our old, deserted hog barn out back..........cinder block construction. I knew if I missed, that arrow was gone. Well, it happened one day, that GT slammed home and made a big, loud CCCCRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! [:@] And there went about $5. I, too had my loopmaster let a loop go a couple times when I wore down the loop so bad it was just a few threads left. LOL misfired both times at 10 yards, hit the 1 1/2" steel pipe holding the bags both times dead center. LOL