Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Carbon arrow recommendations for youth. >

Carbon arrow recommendations for youth.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon arrow recommendations for youth.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carbon arrow recommendations for youth.

My 12 year old daughter has shot for years with a compound and release. Aluminum arrows are biting the dust as she shoots more 3D. Looking for some more durable carbons for 35#-45# draw.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for 3d and target? What is the cam style of her compound? Solo or dual cam? Hard or soft. Or is it simply a "wheel" compound? Draw length? Need a little more info before determining the proper arrow.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Super said. As for brand though I would recommend Gold Tip arrows. You can buy more expensive ones but the GTs are hard to beat. The GT chart calls for a 500 spine arrow in the 45-49# draw weight range and 26"-29" total arrow length. If to be used for hunting however, I like to go up one spine stiffer - in your case a 400 spine. For strictly target shooting the 500 spine should suffice.
And if you fletch your own arrows, you can get cosmetic blems on Ebay for a real good price.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the draw weight is basically what's required, but here is the rest....

Diamond Infinite Edge
Dual cam
Release
D Loop
http://www.basspro.com/Diamond-Infin...6403/#desc-tab
Old 10-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bulzeye

Diamond Infinite Edge
Dual cam
Release
D Loop
But you forgot one of the most important aspects of determining arrow spine and that is total arrow length. Measure one of her alum arrows from base of nock to end of shaft and also what tip weight she is using.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Diamond Infinite Edge
Dual cam
Release
D Loop
Having taught archery for many years, I can tell you that draw weight is only ONE of the many things needed for a proper arrow matching. If your daughter is serious and loves the sport (what's not to love?!!) then you will want to equip her with the best possible match for her shooting. There is a vast difference between target/3d arrows and a good hunting arrow. A good hunting arrow has to be tough and you really want a heavier arrow for hunting for kinetic energy transfer. An arrow for target/3d purposes needs to be matched up for straightness against each other (consistency kind of like match grade ammo for a rifle) and can be a much lighter setup for less "rainbow" effect. Since you will probably be wanting lighter, then you will definitely be needing the draw length to calculate total overall arrow length so that you can calculate spine which, with a lighter arrow, will need to be fairly stiff. You also don't want to go TOO light as that will eventually cause damage to her bow. Gold Tip Falcons are usually an excellent choice for the beginning/youth target/3d shooter. They aren't too salty in price but they aren't elcheapos either.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't clear enough, I guess. Was just looking for a recommendation for a good shaft that will work with such a low draw weight. I can read the manufacturer's arrow selection charts, and I've likely been doing that for longer than most of the folks on here have been able to type.
I'll ask elsewhere.
Thank you for your input, Superhunt and Bronko

Last edited by Bulzeye; 10-02-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, she isn't a beginner, as I stated before. ugh. This is why I rarely come here any more.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

BTW, she isn't a beginner, as I stated before. ugh. This is why I rarely come here any more.
Well its obvious you don't know how to pick out a correct arrow. You asked a question no one could possibly answer without you providing all the necessary information.
This is everything you need to supply:
Bow cam type (soft, radical, wheels)
speed
draw weight
draw length (or total arrow length)
Tip weight
type of release (fingers or release aid)
main purpose (hunting or target shooting)

But if you don't want to supply the information needed don't be a snob if you don't get an answer to your question.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't clear enough, I guess. Was just looking for a recommendation for a good shaft that will work with such a low draw weight. I can read the manufacturer's arrow selection charts, and I've likely been doing that for longer than most of the folks on here have been able to type.
I'll ask elsewhere.
Thank you for your input, Superhunt and Bronko
And here I was thinking you asked about a good shaft for your daughter to use for target/3d archery. And I simply responded with the need for more information to give you the best INFORMED opinion for your daughters needs. Considering I'm playing slap and tickle with 70 and have been drawing stick and string since I could sustain an upright position I highly doubt you have been in this game longer than I sir.

At 12 years of age I highly doubt she is in the "expert" class either. I did state in my recommendation "beginner/junior" class correct? Just "low draw weight" is absolutely NO basis for forming an opinion on a type of arrow shaft to be used. At 12 you may be wanting to get her into hunting with stick and string! Asking for more information isn't, in my opinion anyway, a bad thing. My apologies if my asking for a bit more information to be able to give you a more informed opinion on your daughters needs offended you. Have a nice day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.