Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lighted Nocks

Old 07-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lighted Nocks

I am thinking about using lighted nocks this season and was thinking that the grain difference between my regular nock and a lighted nock may change FOC. After the measurements & calculations the FOC with regular nock is 13 with a lighted nock 11.5 . Should I use a 125 grain broadhead to makeup for the weight difference between the regular nock and lighted nock to get my FOC back up around 13? Also my current arrow eight is 450 grains with a 100grain broadhead, shooting 65 lbs 27.5 draw length.

Thanks
Jed
Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Switching to a 125 will slow your speed down a good little bit. Somewhere between 3-8 FPS BUT it will give you a greater KE value. Which broadhead do you currently use? If you want a superior fixed broadhead I would advise Slick Trick in either the Standard, Magnum, or Viper in the 125. Excellent Broadhead that flies very well and the performance on game is unquestioned.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I currently use 100 grain NAP killzone 2". But do you think I should use a 125 grain to makeup for the 14 grain difference between regular nock and lighted nock?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you calculate the length of that NAP? The killzone is a VERY long broadhead. And since that's 100 grains right at the end of your arrow you should factor in that length as well. As far as mechanical broadheads, I am not a huge fan of them. I prefer fixed blade. Just less to go wrong, you never have to worry about odd angles where it doesn't open, and never have to worry about it opening up in flight screwing your shot. I would say go with the slick tricks if you are going to switch broadheads to 125 grain anyway. Much better performance record than just about any broadhead (REAL performance record not what the Add's on hunting shows want you to think). I've used them for years with my Traditional rigs and a couple of my compounds and never lost a deer. Another superb broadhead is the G5 fixed series Montec. I use them on my fastest speed bows with excellent results. Never lost a deer with them either. As long as you do your part, they will do theirs.

Factor in that length of your broadhead in your FOC calculator (I just balance mine and see if the FOC point has changed much) and see if there is still a big difference in your FOC. If there is and you want to switch to 125, think seriously about those broadheads I suggested. You are going to have to buy new ones anyway, may as well get a better performer.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

What lighted nock are you thinking of using. I tried the Luminock and the Easton lighted nock and both were heavy and did throw off my arrow. At 30 yards the excessive weight on the rear end of my shaft actually caused my arrows to hit 4" higher than the standard nock.
I switched to Nocturnals which are only 3-5 grains heavier than a standard nock and the difference in FOC and accuracy is minimal. I'm not sure but I believe Carbon Express has similarly weighted nocks.
There are a good many people that don't think you should use a lighted nock and some states that still don't allow them. But once I tried them and use them hunting I think that is foolishness. During first and last light there is no question as to where you hit your animal and whether you should back out or not.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-10-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like them for when I get a full pass through (99% of the time with my broadheads) and that arrow is half way buried. Dem broadheads and arrows aint cheap! Not to mention checking the arrow for sign of the hit. Makes for finding the arrow so much easier.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:48 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I haven't noticed much difference out to 30 yards or so, but since I'm a bit OCD I added weight to my practice nocks (small threaded rod epoxied in) so everything's equal.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BTM
I haven't noticed much difference out to 30 yards or so, but since I'm a bit OCD I added weight to my practice nocks (small threaded rod epoxied in) so everything's equal.
Better be careful with that. I tried the same thing when I used the Easton Tracer nock and had the nock explode on release which almost resulted in a dry fire.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTM
Originally Posted by bronko22000
Better be careful with that. I tried the same thing when I used the Easton Tracer nock and had the nock explode on release which almost resulted in a dry fire.
It only matters the first season. After the first season or two, you'll have nocks with dead batteries to use as practice nocks. Then you can make the replacement set last for a LONG time (I have 5 seasons on my current set).

At the end of the day, they're not that expensive. Comparatively, if you shoot a $30 head, arrow, and nock 30 times for practice, you get as much bang for your buck as you would when firing $1 per round out of a rifle. I know I've shot certain shafts hundreds of times, definitely getting my money's worth out of them. Using my dead lumenoks as practice nocks, I get my value out of them as well.

I use lumenoks, Mama uses Nockturnals. Mine are a lot brighter, her's are handier for turning them off. Both have been reliable. Lumenok's design makes them more prone to start popping out on impact after time (GT's at least).
Old 08-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
It only matters the first season. After the first season or two, you'll have nocks with dead batteries to use as practice nocks. Then you can make the replacement set last for a LONG time (I have 5 seasons on my current set).

At the end of the day, they're not that expensive. Comparatively, if you shoot a $30 head, arrow, and nock 30 times for practice, you get as much bang for your buck as you would when firing $1 per round out of a rifle. I know I've shot certain shafts hundreds of times, definitely getting my money's worth out of them. Using my dead lumenoks as practice nocks, I get my value out of them as well.

I use lumenoks, Mama uses Nockturnals. Mine are a lot brighter, her's are handier for turning them off. Both have been reliable. Lumenok's design makes them more prone to start popping out on impact after time (GT's at least).
I as well have shot both and I feel the green nocks are brighter longer and farther than the red IMHO. I shoot 100grn GrimReapers, Easton Full Metal Jackets with both NockTurnals and Lumenocks side by side in the quiver. Deer don't seem to mind the difference!!!!!!! And NM, great idea of using the dead ones for practice in place of live ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.