Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to tell the distance on each point on a sight? >

How to tell the distance on each point on a sight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to tell the distance on each point on a sight?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Spike

Default How to tell the distance on each point on a sight?

So I'm betting this is probably a pretty dumb question and I do admit I was stupid in forgetting the actual distance for mine. But since I almost stopped hunting due to health problems, my parents sold off/returned most of my camo gear, scent stuff, etc. and scrapped a bunch of the notes I did have. Now that I'm up to the challenge and taking it back up, I'm kind of hazy on what I remember. However, I think I do remember that it was 15 m - 20 m - 25 m. Is there anyway to tell the distances for each of the 'colors' on the sights reliably? Or will I have to take out a chunk of change for it whenever I go to a shop next?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

uhhhhh is it pin sights? If it is, then the pins are set at wherever YOU set them. You adjust each pin to a different range. I.E. I set my pins at 20, 40, 60 yards. From 0-20 yards the difference in impact points is near nothing, from 20 to 40 yards is only about an inch to inch and a half, and from 40-60 yards the difference is only about 3 inches. Now this is also on a bow with 312 feet per second with my hunting arrows. I will have to change that up when I drop it down to 60 pounds (many shoulder injuries are starting to cause problems pulling 70#) as that will drop my speed to under 300fps. Probably around 290-295. You can raise and lower MOST pin sights as a whole group by adjusting the main housing but you can also adjust each pin individually. Start off at 10 yards and get your top pin set where it is a little high at 10 then back up to 20 yards and dial it in. then, if your bow is fairly fast, back up to 30 yards and set your second pin to shoot a tad high then back up to 40 yards and dial it in. Same process with the 3rd pin. I do it that way so that my sight picture isn't "crowded". If I set it up at 20,30,40, then I would have a hard time distinguishing one pin from another because they would be close to on top of each other.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:45 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Superhunt said it very well. The only thing I can add is if you end up with more than one bow, use the same color sequence to keep Mr. Murphy at bay.