HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   A little unhappy about my PSE WhiteTail Extreme.... need help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/39814-little-unhappy-about-my-pse-whitetail-extreme-need-help.html)

willtill 10-13-2003 03:45 AM

A little unhappy about my PSE WhiteTail Extreme.... need help

I finally bought a chronograph, and was very curious to see the speed of my arrows coming off of my PSE WhiteTail Extreme that I acquired this year. It' s advertised to shoot at least 265 fps.

I checked it with the chronograph and to my dismay, it' s only shooting at 217 fps.... the bow is set up for 65 pound draw, my draw length is 28" and the arrows are Redhead Carbon Supremes that weigh a total of 417 grains. I have two string silencers and a ropenock loop. I am also using a Whisker Biscuit for a rest. The arrow fits loosely in the Biscuit and I have trimmed the rear area of the Whisker Biscuit' s " whiskers" to make them more flat that concave.

I was planning to shoot Spitfire 100 grain mechanical hunting tips, but now with the recently realized lower bow speed, there' s no way that I' m getting enough kinetic energy to operate those properly. I' ve had to switch to 100 grain Muzzy 4 blade broadheads, while having to accept the fact that I' m loosing a 1/2" of cutting ability by not being able to use the Spitfires (which were 1 1/2" cutting surface). I chose the Muzzy broadheads because it has been said that they shoot the same as field points, which they appear to do.

How can I get the advertised speed in my PSE WhiteTail Extreme? When I bought my bow, I asked them to make sure that it was adjusted for the most poundage possible. The bow tech' s at Bass Pro looked at it and said that the limbs were already adjusted for maximum poundage.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

PABowhntr 10-13-2003 05:53 AM

RE: A little unhappy about my PSE WhiteTail Extreme.... need help

Will,

I am not sure where you got the 265 fps figure from as I am pretty sure that the IBO rating for the Whitetail Extreme was closer to 300 fps. However, I think that Cabelas had a Nova Extreme which would have an IBO speed around 265 fps.

Regardless though, if it was a 265 fps speed rating then that was done with a 30 inch draw length, a 70 lb draw weight and a 350 grain arrow. Your draw length is shorter than that by 2 inches so you are loosing 20 fps right there. Your draw weight is 5 lbs lighter so you are probably losing 8-9 fps in that area....and your arrow weight is approximately 70 grains heavier than IBO specs so you are probably losing 14 fps in that regard. Total that up and you get 43 fps. Take 265 and subtract 43 fps and you get 22 fps.

Finally, if you have any string accessories, like a peep sight, string silencers, etc... installed then you will lose an additional few fps for each item. That would bring the total to around that 217 fps figure you mentioned.

I am a little short on time now so I will have to wait to comment further until later.

ijimmy 10-13-2003 05:57 AM

Will are you sure your crono is working corectly ? Were you in direct sunlight ? If your crono was in the shade or in a garage with poor lighting then it can effect you readout , if not maybe the cam is out of proper rotation .

Arthur P 10-13-2003 06:59 AM

I guess your bow came with Synergy wheels instead of the Lightning single cam? That would explain the 265 rating. Otherwise it should IBO around 290-300.

Most bow companies need to put a disclaimer on their advertised speeds: " You don' t have a prayer of getting anywhere close to this speed!" [:' (]

The IBO speed they advertise is not the minimum arrow speed you can expect with a bow. It' s the absolute maximum that a bow is capable of shooting with a 350 grain arrow at 70 pounds draw weight and 30" draw length. The bow is not set up like someone that intended to actually use it would have it set up. The bow has a minimal contact rest and maybe one nocking point. Or the nocking point could be only be a mark on the string. That' s it.

Any departure from how the bow was shot for that ad speed will change the speed it shoots. Unfortunately for you, all your departures cost arrow speed. Extras like the string loop and silencers, for instance. Peep sights - the ones with rubber tube alignment REALLY knock speed for a loop. Less than 30" draw. Less than 70 pounds draw weight. Heavier than 350 grain arrow. Bow tune.

Frank laid it out very well.

I' m glad you found out what you had before heading out to the woods with those mechanicals.

willtill 10-13-2003 07:24 AM

Hi PABowhuter,

Thank you very much for explaining the loss in my bow speed. I' m amazed that I can lose so much for the reasons that you mentioned.

Hi ijimmy,

I shot the arrows over the chronograph on a cloudy day, with and without diffusers. The speed read the same, sometimes off a foot or two per second, but pretty consistent. I took the chronograph to the gun range yesterday to start developing loads for my TC Arms Omega, and it was displaying consistently there too. So I believe that the chronograph is telling me the truth.

Hi Arthur P,

I' ve been out in the woods a couple of times already with the Spitfires. Luckily (or unluckily) I haven' t been able to take a shot at anything as of yet with them. I' m now tipped with the Muzzy' s as I mentioned earlier, and am still shooting at around 217 fps, I am hoping that this will guarantee me a pass through with correct shot placement....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

Rack-attack 10-13-2003 11:13 AM

I' m now tipped with the Muzzy' s as I mentioned earlier, and am still shooting at around 217 fps,
Good Choice to switch - and I commend you:D

You setup is no good with spitfires

You should be fine with the muzzies - GOOD LUCK:D

Sooner_Hunter 10-13-2003 07:53 PM

willtill,

wondering if you have the KE to guarantee a passthru shot with correct placement? 217 fps with 417 grain arrow and 100 grain point should give you 54.07 ft lbs of KE. enough for a pass through shot. if the arrow and head total weight is 417 then the ke is 43.61.

It takes about 40 foot-pounds of kinetic energy to get a complete pass-through shot on a whitetail deer. About 50 foot-pounds is required for an elk. Source: Goldtip
info regarding required KE from http://www.fastestbows.com/did_you_know.htm

bobcat 10 10-13-2003 08:47 PM

believe this...... i have a browning tornado. i shoot at 56 pounds and 27 draw.i shoot easton 2312 xx78 the grain of my arrow is in the 400 range.100 grain muzzy 3 blade.i shot my first deer with a bow the other day. i had a complete pass thru hit both lungs and broke the other sholder. went plum thru. believe it my ke is not high it is low .you will be fine with your setup. my bow is rated at 292 feet per second thats what it says but i do not no what i shoot. it is good enough to kill any deer. buck or doe. my shot was a pass thru believe it.

go deep hunt hard.;)

put me in anyhunting sitution and i will strike fast and get the job done.

willtill 10-14-2003 03:52 AM

Hi Sooner_Hunter, Rack Attack and Bobcat 10,

if the arrow and head total weight is 417 then the ke is 43.61.
That is what I' m currently shooting. I' ve also been posting this problem with my bow speed on the PSE Archery forum as well. It' s been suggested that the Redhead Carbon Supreme' s may be inherently slow for an unexplained reason. Also contributing to my speed loss is possibly the peep sight with rubber tube, and I think that the Whisker String silencers aren' t helping either. I definitely want to keep the Whisker Biscuit though. Also, after hunting season is over, I think that I' d like to replace the PSE bow string with a much thinner Zebra ZS twist string. From reading about the Zebra, it seems to be thinner, more stable in rotation and will support a tubeless peep sight much better.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland