Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
broad head problems >

broad head problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broad head problems

Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nomad636
Switch to The Atom Broadhead. It flies just like field points, there is zero plaining and they have excellent penetration. I have yet to shoot an animal that it didn't completely pass through. They are durable, and the engineer and owner of the company Matt will talk to you for hours about the design. IF you have ANY problems with it, they will warranty the broadheads.
How do they cut?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
How do they cut?
Like a charm. They penetrate like nothing I've ever used before. They have a lifetime warranty, and the wires are easy to change. The Titanium fuerrels are solid. After the shot, check your wires, rinse off the broadhead and go shoot another hog or deer.

I killed 4 hogs and 3 deer with one broadhead before changing out my wires. Wires are simple, and it takes less than 2 seconds to swap them out. You don't have to worry about washers or O rings. You don't have to worry about the blades not deploying.

These are the only broadheads that I will hunt with.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't ask about penetration. He asked how they cut. What we would both like to see are some examples from actual kill shots. I can "penetrate" and pass through a deer with field tips. But that doesn't cut the mustard so to speak. Since those are "wires" and built to collapse I think Rock and I both are a little leery of just exactly how well they will perform. You need serious entrance and exit wounds to let blood poor for tracking. I can kill a deer with field tips but I would have to hoof track the deer because there would be no blood trail.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
He didn't ask about penetration. He asked how they cut. What we would both like to see are some examples from actual kill shots. I can "penetrate" and pass through a deer with field tips. But that doesn't cut the mustard so to speak. Since those are "wires" and built to collapse I think Rock and I both are a little leery of just exactly how well they will perform. You need serious entrance and exit wounds to let blood poor for tracking. I can kill a deer with field tips but I would have to hoof track the deer because there would be no blood trail.
Yeah and to be honest I like the concept. I think this is a broadhead design headed in the right direction with the right ideas. Just curious as to how the cut/bleed.

My concerns are the cut and the wire/blade retention.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Spike

Yeah and to be honest I like the concept. I think this is a broadhead design headed in the right direction with the right ideas. Just curious as to how the cut/bleed.

My apologies, I didn't read your post correctly. So the broadhead gives a 1"x1" hole on 4 sides. Think of it as a 4 blade broadhead with the max diameter of 1". Albeit, when the blades come in contact with ribs or shoulder, the do flex a little bit to allow for an easier pass through, they do not permanently compress. They are nice and stiff. The cutting angle on the blade (wire) is steeper than most broadheads, this allows for longer blade (wire) longevity.

These wires do not need to be "razor" sharp to cut. This by no means that they are dull though. It is just the grind angle that is less steep.

Below is a link that you can use to read the technical data on these broadheads. I am also attaching a picture so that you can see what they look like on an arrow, and of the damage from a kill shot.

http://www.arrowds.com/atom/The%20Atom.pdf
Attached Thumbnails broad head problems-image1.jpg   broad head problems-image2.jpg   broad head problems-image3-2-.jpg   broad head problems-image3.jpg   broad head problems-image4-2-.jpg  

Old 11-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Spike

I have included some additional pictures of the cutting capabilities of the Atom Broadhead.
Attached Thumbnails broad head problems-image4.jpg   broad head problems-image5-2-.jpg   broad head problems-image5.jpg   broad head problems-image6.jpg   broad head problems-img_1029.jpg  

Old 11-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Spike

So the wires are designed to compress, but only enough to get the ribs or bone that is hindering the penetration of the broadhead. The wires do not stay permanently compressed. If you take your fingers and try to compress the wires, you will be severely cut long before you can get the wire to compress at all. That being said, for an arrow that is moving in excess of 250fps, that momentum is enough to get them to compress, ever so slightly when the hit rib or shoulder. They do not stay compressed at all though.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I understand the concept, just wondering how it really worked.

I like the steeper edge. Fine edges may be super sharp but they often fold on contact. I think it is a great idea to trade a little sharpness for a stronger edge
Old 11-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Spike

Yeah I understand the concept, just wondering how it really worked.

I like the steeper edge. Fine edges may be super sharp but they often fold on contact. I think it is a great idea to trade a little sharpness for a stronger edge
That is the great thing about these broadheads. Even after a full pass through and burying in the dirt, they are still good to go. If one of the wires is damaged, it a simple replacement.

I used to shoot G5 T3 broadheads. Those blades were a pain in the #$% to change. Even the Toxic broadheads or Muzzy Broadheads, if you don't have that little tool to pull off the chisel tip, its hard to change them.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I'm more than happy to try and answer them.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Spike

I haven't logged in for quite sometime, spine issue. I was on the cusp with the terminators? I switched to easton fmj and problem seemed to correct it's self. Blood runners did not last though, it may have been a combination of the 2 that was giving me the problems, not sure. broke down and bought a bowtech 360 and haven't looked back. Bow is LIGHT YEARS! better than my older set up. Eventually I'll have it refreshed as a back up, thank you to all that contributed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.