HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Right hand shooting with a left hand bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/39594-right-hand-shooting-left-hand-bow.html)

dkbs 10-10-2003 08:44 PM

RE: Right hand shooting with a left hand bow

Hello
I would have to agree with cloud 9. Shoot with your dominant eye. If your left eye is dominant, keep the bow and learn to shoot left handed. If your right eye is dominant, sell the bow and get one thats right for you.
I' m left handed but play ball and sports right handed. For seventeen years I shot left handed bows until I learned my right eye was dominant. I switched to shooting right handed and have been shooting right handed ever since. My shooting improved almost immediately. The hardest thing about the switch was learning to grab the bow and arrows to prepare for the shot.
Happy Hunting
Dan

Capt Ray 10-11-2003 07:31 AM

I am left handed but shoot right handed. I made the switch because I am right eye dominant and my shooting has improved. It does take some time to condition the shooting muscles.LOL

Raymond van Halm 10-11-2003 11:35 AM

I think you should just shoot left handed with a left hand bow and righthanded with a righthand bow. Those things are designed left and right for a purpose. Len is right about the dominant eye.

jgttechjunkie 10-13-2003 01:16 AM

Sometimes I think people lose sight of why they are shooting a bow. For hunting, there is an obligation to shoot the bow that makes you the most accurate. For everything else you can do what you want - the idea is to enjoy yourself. I am right handed, but sometimes shoot a lefty bow left and right. You lose depth perception I am told using the non dominant eye. I am definitely not as accurate. I can pull more weight with my left arm - maybe because my left shoulder has less mileage on it, so it sometimes is a welcome break in a long shooting session.

Once or twice I mentioned to shop pros that I do this but I have stopped talking about it because of all the negative comments.

TheUniversalOne 04-25-2016 10:53 AM

Sellin'p

Originally Posted by ButchA (Post 382580)
I can vouch for the others on here. Believe me.... Sell the lefty bow (maybe to me! ;) ) and get yourself outfitted with a righty bow. I am a lefty and have a lefty bow. I " tried" to shoot my buddies old Browning righty bow one time and I shot it lefty. Man, I missed the target about 6 feet to the left!! [:o] I can' t shoot righty no matter what I do (I' m left eye dominant).

I am a freak... I write lefty, shoot everything lefty, and play golf righty. I play a drum kit lefty, but yet, I play guitar righty. Here' s one that will throw you for a loop: I throw a baseball lefty, but throw a football righty. Go figure.... [&:]

Butch

I have a Bear Montana 55# LH Longbow, if anyone is interested. Email me: [email protected]

bronko22000 04-30-2016 05:23 AM

My first thought is why in the world would you buy a left hand bow if you're right handed. And if it was given to you who cares what it's worth. Get what you can for it and get a right handed bow. As for shooting a LH bow RH it has to be very uncomfortable in the hand. And how do you contort your head for the sights?
I wouldn't worry too much about eye dominance. I am left eye dominant and shoot a bow RH. Why? Because that's how I was taught about 55 years ago with a recurve. I can shoot 3-5" groups using my non-dominant eye at 70 yards during practice sessions. I toyed with the idea of shooting LH because you can get some real deals on LH bows. But I am too comfortable with my muscle memory shooting RH. It seems unnatural shooting LH.