HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Best Fixed Blade Broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/393642-best-fixed-blade-broadheads.html)

b0huntr147 08-12-2014 05:11 AM

Best Fixed Blade Broadheads

I have an elk hunt in Idaho this year and I normally shoot Swhacker Broadheads. I have had great success with them but Idaho does not allow the use of mechanical broadheads.

Does anybody have some suggestions on which fixed blades broadheads?

Kathwacckkk 08-12-2014 06:48 AM

b0huntr147 - What is your current setup? Different setups can shoot better with certain broadheads depending on draw weight, velocity, KE, arrow weight, anticipated distance for max shot, etc... Example would be a cut on contact head such as Magnus Stingers if you have a light draw weight, low KE and are worried about penetration.

Generically, the best broadhead on the market is the one that you can consistently put in the boiler room. My favorite is the Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain. SlickTrick's have always caught my attention as well. I like the smaller profile heads.

b0huntr147 08-12-2014 08:36 AM

setup

My current setup is a 2011 Bowtech Destroyer 340, 29" Draw Length, 65 lb draw Weight. I have not ever measured the velocity of my arrows but I shoot Easton Axis 340 arrows at 30" length.

dorobuta 08-12-2014 08:51 AM

I really like the G5 Strykers, in 125 for elk.

bronko22000 08-12-2014 02:59 PM

Slick Trick Viper Tricks. Strong ferrule and tough replaceable blades. They fly true.
I was a big fan of Magnus Stingers and killed plenty of deer with them. The only 'flaw' I found is that you should use only new ones for hunting as they tend bend slightly when use for practice.

cjclemens 08-13-2014 04:05 AM

There's a lot of really good fixed broadheads on the market. Ill be using Magnus Stingers this year, but I've tested Muzzy 3-blade heads, NAP thunderheads, Grim Reaper Hades, and some old Bear Archery Bruins that I found on eBay. All fly well with some minor adjustments. The only thing you really need to do is make sure they're extra sharp. All it takes is a little time and good whetstone.

Bbj270 08-13-2014 05:13 AM

I use muzzy 3 blade, my dad uses thunderheads. Not a problem.with either one and good luck.

b0huntr147 08-13-2014 05:50 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, now to go check them out and get practicing with them before the hunt.

Kathwacckkk 08-13-2014 06:33 AM

I had my choice nailed down between SlickTrick standard 100 grain and Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain, when I made the switch from mechanicals a couple years ago. At the time, I went with the Muzzy's as they offered the practice blades in the pack and I could get 6 for the same price as 3 SlickTricks. It was nice to set all the broadheads up, shoot each arrow with the practice blades and then just switch out to hunting blades and new Trocar tips. I liked using the actual head with practice blades rather then field points.

I do not think you can make a bad choice with the ones mentnioed. Good luck and post stories and pictures of your success!

AF Hunter 08-13-2014 01:45 PM

I have shot 3 blade 100 gr muzzys for a long time and never had a problem with them.