Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
switched to vanes.  sighting problems >

switched to vanes. sighting problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

switched to vanes. sighting problems

Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by deerhunter518
I would check your center shot first make sure the arrow is leaving square. make sure your form is correct and you have good follow through. if everything is good the extra spin from the quick spin could be just pushing it through the air.
Not sure if you really meant what you stated here deerhunter. The fletching does not push the arrow through the air. All fletching provides drag and helps to stabilize the arrow. The harder the helical the faster the arrow rotates in flight. The tab on the quik fletch vanes caused the arrow to spin much faster resulting in quicker stabilization.
If your bow is properly tuned very little fletching is necessary. But shooting in windy conditions or shooting large fixed blade broadheads and at longer distances, you should have a combination of a good spined arrow, adequate fletching and a %FOC of about 10%.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Where were your bareshafts hitting compared to your feathers? Compared to your vanes?

As others have mentioned, I start over from scratch whenever I mane a change like that. But I also don't like to have my fletched arrows not shoot to the same poi as my bareshafts. If any difference, only elevation.

Not worth a conversation to talk about clearance issues. Powder test and you'll have your answer, no reason to speculate. Have you paper tuned with the new vanes in place?

BINGO! you hit the nail on the head, if bare shaft arrows are not flying right ; vanes and broad heads, will only magnify the problem.

When in doubt, go back to square one, start with bare shaft.